Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 7:49pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you really like fighting?

There's a lot of blow hard machismo going around, with the rise of MMA. I love the sport, but it seems to bring out the worst in a lot of young white males. People on this forum seem to imply that they like to fight, which, is well, bullshit. People might like to win a fight, but I assure you, you lose a few too many, and you won't like fighting anymore. Seriously, would you fight Vanderlei, or Jackson or Chuck Liddell? I mean, they're really good at it, so that would be a great experience, right? Oh, you don't want to be sipping your steak through a straw? Now some people, like maybe Kat, who is the only one I can think of who doesn't mind as long as she gets a few shots in, but most people just want someone to abuse. Please discuss.

software engineer

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:04pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    There's a lot of blow hard machismo going around, with the rise of MMA. I love the sport, but it seems to bring out the worst in a lot of young white males. People on this forum seem to imply that they like to fight, which, is well, bullshit. People might like to win a fight, but I assure you, you lose a few too many, and you won't like fighting anymore. Seriously, would you fight Vanderlei, or Jackson or Chuck Liddell? I mean, they're really good at it, so that would be a great experience, right? Oh, you don't want to be sipping your steak through a straw? Now some people, like maybe Kat, who is the only one I can think of who doesn't mind as long as she gets a few shots in, but most people just want someone to abuse. Please discuss.
    You only offered 2 extremes -- someone who would crush you, and "someone to abuse."

I think a lot of people enjoy testing their skills on a equally skilled opponent.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    i don't like fighting. I hate getting punched in the face especially. I think the average Joe will do most anything to avoid a physical altercation.

Your last comment about people just wanting someone to abuse reminded me of a quote from Chuck Lidell made in the interview put on ESPN.COM

"A lot of big guys make a reputation for themselves as hard," Liddell says. "Then I'll see them in the ring and they can't fight their way out of a paper bag. They're picking on guys they can beat. That's not being tough. That's being an a--hole."

poser

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:09pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't like the idea of fighting fighting, but I do like practicing the martial arts how they were supposed to be practiced, which happens to involve fighting. Fighting with intent to hurt is not the same as fighting with intent to train, where pain is just a side effect.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:24pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    You only offered 2 extremes -- someone who would crush you, and "someone to abuse."

I think a lot of people enjoy testing their skills on a equally skilled opponent.
    That would be sparring, really. Or a tournament. I like the Chuck Liddell quote, it sums things up pretty well, as far as some of the mentality I see out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:43pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    under that definiton then, i love sparring.

fighting, as in violence with ramifications, i generally dislike.

edit: i also really agree with the first reply, nothing better than fighting an equal match. if they are too superior, then it's just a learning the hard way experience, if they are inferior, then what's the point?

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:44pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been one to advocate thuggery. Some people I've known are "Recreational Brawlers", but personally I only enjoy testing myself for educational purposes, against people I can learn from/with. Very few people actually like being KTFOd, and I'll happily admit I'm not one of them.

The best justification for learning to fight is so that you can avoid it, and if it becomes impossible to avoid, at least you can minimise your chances of being seriously hurt. Also, there's a quality of respect I share with some of the people with whom i have had a particularly good roll , or traded strikes with. A respect for their ability, but also their heart and dedication. and of course there are those who are just thugs, or bullies. In my experience, they don't really last all that long at any one gym.

I also have maximum respect for anyone who has the balls to front up and back up their words with action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:45pm

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was young and first started martial arts, I liked fighting. I cam from a rough area, I was broader and stronger than most guys. I pretty much won lots of fights without any skill just by being stronger.

Then I got attacked and I was the weaker in this case and I got handed a huge lesson in my life.

I don't like fighting. No....fighting only leads to problems no matter which way you look at it, wethere you are attacking or defending (here is OZ, there was a bouncer who defended himself against a punch by punching back and the attacker fell backwards, hit his head on the pavement, and died) so it is always best to avoid it. There are better things to do in life.

Another way to look at it is this. Two youths here in Melbourne were arguing over whos car looked better as they stood with their buddies outside a McDonalds. They got into a fight and one died. Now the other is in jail.

Was the loss of one life, and the screwing of another really worth what people thought of their cars?

So no...I dislike fighting. But do I like martial arts and sparring...well thats a whole different thing. Yes I enjoy it. But its not the OPs question.
    :5umbrella

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing I like about fighting is the unexpected..not knowing what is coming next. The adrenaline rush you get during a scrap is equal only to that which you might experience during high speed racing (which I have done) or maybe parachuting, free hand rock climbing (which I have not done)...
    I am mellowing out with age as far as bar fighting and that kind of ****. I have a wife and career to consider before I go bitchslapping some obnoxious university punk who has had too much to drink. It is just not worth it to swing first..but if someone swings at me, hey, its all good ..'self defense'.
    I really don't enjoy hurting people though. There is a difference (I think). Only if they have done something to deserve it. I mean really deserve it.
    Sparring is a great way to keep yourself sharp and can be fun and everything. But the street is the street..it is a whole different ball game.
    My two cents..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like fighting but the OP is a moron. of course i dont want to fight Rampage what kind of fucking moronic thing is that to say... it wouldnt be a fight it would be me getting pasted by a hugely superior fighter.

I had a lot more fun in my last fight which was a draw and in which i got far more of a beating than in my first fight which was mostly one way. so yeah youre full of **** sorry buddy. speak for yourself from now on k?
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast