Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes there is. Weapons shouldn't be cute, they should be scary and badass looking.

Or held by cute chicks. but no cute guns!

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 5:37pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Caliber numbers don't determine everything, that's true, but it's all about transmitting energy to your intended target. If you fire through them, that's inefficient and wastes energy. A good example of that is the .357 magnum outperforming the .44 magnum on humans.

With 5.56x45mm and 7.62mmx51 you have a round in both cases that will penetrate a human body easily and the 7.62x51 may penetrate level III body armor. One's going to transmit a lot more energy to the human body. By the way, I was talking about center mass shots, too. Bullets aren't magic, you still have to hit something vital or they will keep moving. Big holes are better.

Besides, if you can't get a quick follow up with something that fires 7.62x51, you need to go back for a retrain.

Anyhow... back to the PDW thing...

These weapons are designed as something to give the cook that's light and easy to use. Thing is, Spark is totally right. There's no such thing as a frontline in the types of conflict we're involved in, we need to be looking at spending more time on the range with people rather than developing new weapons and cartridges. A weapon system will never compensate for a lack of training.

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 6:04pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course i can get a quick follow up with the 7.62, but it's definitely a round that chooses its users carefully, not the other way around.

but yes, the .357 vs .44 is a fantastic example, ty.

you and spark hit the nail with that last paragraph, but as for "A weapon system will never compensate for a lack of training," you should see that .408 sniper rifle that was featured on some discovery channel show (the one with "the shield" wannabe-looking guy). it took almost no training to hit a target a mile away thanks to some ridiculous gps/wind/trajectory calculator that comes with it -_-;;

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 6:49pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that'd be the HORUS sighting system on (could be wrong here...) an M25. I didn't see it, but I'm familiar with the system. I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Thing is, all the HORUS system does is automate the process snipers have been using notepads and calculators for for years and take the guesswork out of windspeed. Of course... then it adjusts your reticle for you... good poop.

But the fact of the matter is you still have to be well practiced in basic rifle marksmanship or the horus won't help you any.

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 7:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4.6 mm? Thats a new one on me

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware
    Yeah, that'd be the HORUS sighting system on (could be wrong here...) an M25. I didn't see it, but I'm familiar with the system. I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Thing is, all the HORUS system does is automate the process snipers have been using notepads and calculators for for years and take the guesswork out of windspeed. Of course... then it adjusts your reticle for you... good poop.

But the fact of the matter is you still have to be well practiced in basic rifle marksmanship or the horus won't help you any.
    I wish I could attach that system to something that I can make millions with... like baseball or something.

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 8:32pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    beer pong.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 10:24pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien
    Not that I am an expert on firearms or anything but the whole idea of pdfs seems stupid. It seems like a good idea having armor piercing bullets in a more compact package but why can't people just be issued carbines? Is an M4 really too much for a truck driver or other logistical personnel?

What is it with creating another retarded caliber? Its armor piercing but I believe 4.6mm round is even smaller than the 9mm, like half the size. What kind of stopping power is that?

The day of the submachine gun (pdf or whatever they call them these days) on the modern battlefield is over. Except in very specialized situations, having separate small caliber arms doesn't make sense in a day where everyone can have an m4 carbine. Kel Tec even makes a big pistol that fires 5.56 NATO that takes m-16 mags, talk about big things in small packages.

I even think the MP5 is stupid. The first submachine guns were usually created to make a super cheap gun. Pistol caliber, cheap materials, and fast firing. The MP5 is the anithesis of thw whole idea behind a submachine gun. Again, if accuracy and reliability really becomes a sticking point why nont just issue carbines? What was the whole point of creating 5.56 NATO anyway except that it was a light recoiling, light weight, armor piercing round? The MP7 is a really expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist (at least to me).

We need some fucking laser guns. Thats what will bring victory in Irag, fucking Storm Trooper rifles and AT-AT walkers. And speeder bikes!
    My feelings exactly.

I love you.

If you were a chick, I'd marry you.

Are you?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    My feelings exactly.

I love you.

If you were a chick, I'd marry you.

Are you?
    What the ****, you never talk to me like this. Asshole.

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/07/2007 10:29am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need some fucking laser guns.
    Americans DO use lasers and not just range finders. Use em to **** up other drivers.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast