Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 1:25pm

Style: undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There would be a mountain of insurance-red tape issues to surmount with school districts. The boxing club at my college didn't have any kind of official backing from the athletic department the way other club sports did. All we could do was try to reserve space in one of the rec rooms ahead of time.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 1:38pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    But we are encouraging violence! Think of the children!

On a related note, I always hear about how television and video games teach children to be violent. I know a family with 3 kids, and they don't even have a TV in their house, let alone video games or cable, and those are the most violent kids I know. Without a source of mindless entertainment, they resort to what's natural.....striking others.
    How many kids do YOU have?

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 1:54pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    And that is the best way for young stupid boys (I was one once) to get over
    their problems with each other. I mean, a lot of times, boys that hate each other fight then become friends....well, this time nobody has to get shot!

I'd rather see young boys glove up and settle their disputes, learn a sport, conditioning etc than to shoot each other.

last time I checked, no bystanders ever got hit by a stray 16 oz glove.
    I agree. We need to go back to the old school, one-on-one fisticuffs to resolve disputes. All too often now it's a gang of multiple thugs knocking some kid down, then they all stomp on his head until he's in a coma(assuming they aren't packing heat).

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    How many kids do YOU have?
    Me? I play my child-bearing old school Greek style.....I eat them upon birth.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggboxer
    There would be a mountain of insurance-red tape issues to surmount with school districts. The boxing club at my college didn't have any kind of official backing from the athletic department the way other club sports did. All we could do was try to reserve space in one of the rec rooms ahead of time.
    Sadly this is the truth. People striking each other? It's gotten to the point that harsh stares are taboo, and grade school sports have stopped keeping score as they don't want to hurt any feelings. To be honest I'm surprised they still offer wrestling before 6th grade.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBullshid0zer
    "Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
    For the love of god please tell me that's a real quote.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 3:02pm

Style: undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oddly enough, it seems boxing at an amateur-club level in schools is flourishing best at the ivy-leagues. Yale, Princeton, and Harvard all have well funded/attended boxing clubs that compete against each other in sanctioned scrimmage matches. Most of those participants of course go on to full time careers after they graduate and don't go any further as competitive boxers, so there's no push from an emerging pro talent pool to emphasize boxing more in school athletic programs. Hence, boxing is the fringe commercial sport that it is today. When you look at old boxing literature and newsprint, you can see that champions like Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Rocky Marciano etc. were well known public figures, you can find photos of all those guys shaking hands with the President of the US.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 7:41pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    I agree. We need to go back to the old school, one-on-one fisticuffs to resolve disputes. All too often now it's a gang of multiple thugs knocking some kid down, then they all stomp on his head until he's in a coma(assuming they aren't packing heat).
    you know, that seems ok, when things are evenly matched, but how often does that happen? Besides, do you think you can go around the rest of your life punching people that you don't like? Well, maybe in prison. What does one on one fisticuffs resolve, who's right, or who is the better fighter? Oh, I'm sorry, the better stronger guy is always right! WTF am I thinking? While we're at it, let have a nice totalitarian society, and teach goose stepping in schools. Hell it builds up the quads.

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 1:13am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    you know, that seems ok, when things are evenly matched, but how often does that happen? Besides, do you think you can go around the rest of your life punching people that you don't like? Well, maybe in prison. What does one on one fisticuffs resolve, who's right, or who is the better fighter? Oh, I'm sorry, the better stronger guy is always right! WTF am I thinking? While we're at it, let have a nice totalitarian society, and teach goose stepping in schools. Hell it builds up the quads.
    This wasn't what I meant. When two people agree to fight eachother in a school yard(I was talking about youth specifically in my post), is that really that bad? It's part of the natural experience of growing up. Fighting is always stupid, but when you're a kid you don't have the maturity to view it in the light that an adult would. I don't know how you got "totalitarian society," or even worse "teach goose stepping in schools" from what I posted.

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 5:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think new2bjj is making the point that some kid who's the next mayweather could basically legitimise bullying using school-sanctioned boxing matches.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast