Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 7:02pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Outside fighter. Tall, good jab. Plus when I end up inside, I just want to Thai clench and/or Judo throw people.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is kinda helping. I'm getting a lot of information, so thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what style would best suit me, although I think I might be jumping the gun a bit.

Hui, sorry about taking so long to reply. I have about 5-7 hours of class a day, with no access to a computer.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    counterpuncher, but I am badass so I can do whatever.
    I find that most people who fancy themselves a "counterpuncher" merely say so because they're generally too tense/afraid to be aggressive. The type of boxer I consider a genuine "counterpuncher" is the kind that incorporates a lot of close range evasion, lots of slipping and rolling. James Tony being a prime example.

I haven't "owned" my style enough yet to really say that I'm this or that as far as boxing styles go. I feel that you have to be entirely comfortable with the techniques and general flow of fighting before you can really do that.

I suppose at this point, though, I'm generally an outfighter, using a lot of jabs, left hooks and the occassional straight right.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 10:50pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus
    This is kinda helping. I'm getting a lot of information, so thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what style would best suit me, although I think I might be jumping the gun a bit.

Hui, sorry about taking so long to reply. I have about 5-7 hours of class a day, with no access to a computer.
    No need to apologize. My opinion would be to learn the most orthodox technique you can, and your strenghts will naturally come out. Just focus on the basics, and you'll know what to do.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:06pm

Style: Submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I SHOULD be an outfighter, because I have pretty fast hand speed, but I'm not too tall, and my jab isn't lightning, I tend to move in and out depending on who I'm sparring with, if they're big, I'll slip, roll, and jab a lot.

If they're good at jabbing, really sweet footwork, and are quick, I'll get in on them if I can, and throw that shovel hook I suck at.

:)

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    outside movement with looping jabs mixed in with lead left hooks to body and face (the right stays by my chin), lots of feints and switching lefty/righty when my jabbing arm gets tired (can't do much else as a lefty yet). lots of jumping in with stiff jabs/feints and right cross to belly/nose. Lots of forgetting I can't use my feet, and standing squarely, followed by a pummeling.
    I'm an expert at getting beaten up on the inside...lanky.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you prefer that I answer that I am a lazy fucker and don't want to do anything in the ring unless I have to? I wouldn't consider myself James Toney. I think he can fight the way he does because there is a a lack of kicking and takedowns.
    We ARE talking about boxing in this thread now aren't we? =P READ: Boxing Styles

However, he easiest way to describe it would be that I will press with movement to force an attack and then based on my press know what his options for attack are and therefore know what my counter is going to be. If that isn't deemed counterpunching...well then dunno.
    Sure. I wasn't necessarily making myself about you in specific, since I had no way to judge by that one sentence statement alone wether you are indeed a counter puncher or not. It was merely a general observation about people who aren't natural strikers. I know I thought of myself as a counter puncher at one point in time, but it was merely because I could never bring myself to make the first move. Hesitation is a pretty big hurdle for a lot of people to get over, and there are some people who mislable their hesitation as a counterpunching strategy.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 2:55pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, to hell with counterpunching. Just let your hands fly, drop bombs, and overwhelm them or just block your opponent's punches with your face, Omega-style. It seems to work for me, but I kind of like getting hit. The thing is, sometimes when I get thumped really hard, and keep swinging for the fences, it does seem to psychologically rattle my opponent. The start thinking "This fucker is masochistically insane." Once you've got them thinking that, the fight is already won.

Of course sometimes you feel and look like **** the next day, but I just try not think about that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oops, double post. Lets chalk it up to my n00b status.
    Last edited by Detritus; 6/06/2007 4:28pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2007 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'd really like to learn to counter once I have all the basics down pat. Any sucker off the street can just run at someone, throw some hard shots and block with their jaw. IMO, counterpunching and all that slick footwork and head movement are what make boxing "the sweet science", and it's kind of why I wanted to learn it in the first place.

Although if you have heavy hands and a good chin, just trying to beat the fool out of someone might work too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast