Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you use Books/DVDs?

Do you read them all the way through, or take notes as you go along? I feel I need to have someone to train with while I'm reading it so I can try it out as I'm reading. Also I try not to get too advanced from where I am. Meaning I'm not reading about guards or submissions I haven't been taught yet.

Basically, I think I'm going to read my Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu book and take notes while I'm doing it. I just want to know if I'm doing this the best way or is there better way.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 12:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    train in the dojo/club/etc and when you get back home check your stuff and REVIEW what you did for pointers, and other details you might have missed in class (variations, angles, hints, etc)

Note: get a GOOD book/dvd by a GOOD author/teacher:

however: if it conflicts with what you are taught, check again with your teacher for more info/details regarding this :)

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 12:22pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess they could give you an idea of what to try in class or you could drill it with a training partner.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear in America its all about burning books, you got it wrong Whorian.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can this be a good thread, or is it a stupid question? I probably asked 2 stupid questions in the same thread.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Can this be a good thread, or is it a stupid question? I probably asked 2 stupid questions in the same thread.
    You asked for the best way to use a book. What were you expecting?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you need clarification - Ok, I would like to know the best way to use instructional books and DVDs regarding Martial Arts (ie Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu or Judo for MMA) to enhance my ongoing training, in this case Judo.

Usually when I read instructional material they're regarding computers, where I can read along and try things I read as I go along. In the case of MA related training material this is not the case. I neither have the room or people to help me apply what I'm reading as I'm reading.

So my question is to the people that do use books/DVDs to enhance their current training: How do you use this to enhance your current and ongoing training?
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 6/05/2007 4:25pm at .

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 5:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DISCLAIMER: You are getting advice from a 1 year BJJ white belt. Take it with a pinch of salt.

I think books are most useful to add a particular technique or game to expand your own existing game. And then for troubleshooting that particular game.

For example, I have long been interested in Rubber Guard (as, tbh, a lot of people are as it seems to be the Next Big Thing), as well as the normal reasons, because I am small, flexible, and interested in doing no-gi and MMA. My coach, while being excellent at BJJ, does not teach the rubber guard as part of his syllabus. So, I picked up Mastering the Rubber Guard.

Eddie Bravo actually goes over this in his book, but I'll repeat it here - DRILL, DRILL, DRILL. The only time a book will help you without drilling moves from it is if you get an idea for something you already knew how to do, you just never thought of doing. If you are trying to learn new techniques, its exactly the same as learning something off your coach, just harder because you don't have feedback. You have to pick a technique, get a training partner, and drill it, making sure you get *every* aspect right, getting feedback off your partner, and comparing it at every step to the book and what the book says.

Then, as you would any other technique, you need to try it in sparring. If its not working, use your own common sense and the book to troubleshoot and figure out what's going wrong.

I would also say (I have no idea of your experience or skill level) that it's not worth getting a book until you have at least a basic understanding of grappling. If you really want to work on your rubber guard but your opponent keeps passing your guard, and you don't know how to escape, or your opponent pulls guard and you don't know how to pass, you're not going to get much use out of it and your time would be far better spent going over good basic escapes, guard passing, control, and so on.

Again, this is just based on my very limited experience and thoughts. If a more experienced poster contradicts me, listen to them instead.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 5:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I strap the books to my chest to protect from knife attacks, and throw the DVDs at my enemies faces.

Spoiler:
    In all honesty, The only books I have are for Judo and Zen, and I don't read them. Any DVD's I have are more likely to be a Jet Li movie than an instructional video. If I wanted to learn something, I'd go to class.