--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i did bent over rows then all of the sudden i could do pull ups

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 11:36pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much are pull-ups supposed to target the core muscles? I ask this because when I do them, especially near the end of my set, I can feel the strain in my abs. Or am I just performing it incorrectly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 3:32am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    How much are pull-ups supposed to target the core muscles? I ask this because when I do them, especially near the end of my set, I can feel the strain in my abs. Or am I just performing it incorrectly?

funny you should say that, i also really feel it in my abs, i thought it was just me coz everyone else i've asked doesnt get that

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 4:26am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally if you feel it in your abs its because your tensing your stomach to keep your legs tucked in.

Which is all good.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 6:38am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    Do you train at a gym? see if they have an assisted pull-up machine. Try a graduated hang/negative pull up, i.e. step up into "pulled up" position, position a box/chair off to the side that you can step up on, then from this position, slowly release until your arms are completely straight, let go, step up and do again.

For exercises to help you get there... lat pull downs (if you have access to the equipment), one arm dumbell rows.
    LOL! Assisted pull up machine? Lat pull downs? My 'training equipment' happens to consist of the monkey bars where I take my kids to the playground. Busy moms have to improvise! (See my other current thread on doing bodyweight exercises in the bathroom at work http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55605 )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 7:49am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try negatives and from there you could progress onto band assisted pull ups. This is of course assuming you have resistance bands but they are not that expensive. Im not sure how well either of these methods works because I'v never had the problem that you have but they seem to the most common methods perscribed for pull up progressions.

I think the band method might have been mentioned in Ross Enamit's Infinite Intensity even.
    Last edited by Raining_Blood; 6/05/2007 7:52am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Question!
    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....7-054-training

Read this.

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 9:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that alternating dumbbell pushup/row. That's freakin' sweet!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:54am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aerochick, the kids playground is actually a good thing. Find something like monkeybars or something where you can either lay down or hook your legs and grab onto the bar. You can either do modified pull ups or pull yourself up and hold for as long as you can. If you are doing this for grappling take a couple of towels throw them over the bar and use to perform the pull ups. You will be more horizontal and therefore using less of your own bodyweight as resistance.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aerochick, the monkey bars are a good thing. If you have something to step on, or if they are low enough, you

Jumping Pull Ups (from a platform)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLB2fyNsKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLB2fyNsKQ

Jumping Pull Ups (no platform... harder)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZHCJ6WX_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZHCJ6WX_s

Other things you can try are negatives and static holds. By negatives we mean you assist yourself to the top of the movement, and then control your descend. Muscles are stronger on the negatives. For static holds, if you and when you are strong enough for them, on your way down, you stop half-way, and you keep that position for as long as possible.

The latter is a max effort: whether you can hold that position for half a second or 10 seconds, that doesn't matter. Just keep the hold. Don't overdo static holds, however since you can easily overtrain - and then you are going to walk funny with your arms lifted as if you are train to take a flight :tongue3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast