• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 12:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pull-ups for Weaklings

OK - I can't do pull-ups. Not even one. How do I fix this?

Should I do other arm/shoulder exercises and build up my strength before trying pullups? Which ones?

Should I just try anyways - just pull as hard as I can with my feet on the ground? Will that build up the right muscles?

Should I give a little jump to get my feet off the ground and just try to hang as long as I can? Will this lead to actually being able to do one?

I will consider it a personal victory the day I can do just one pullup. Who can help?

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 12:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just googled this article. Good read.

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...033004,00.html

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 12:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a stepladder, or boxes or whatever you want to use and get up so that your at the position you would be if you did a pull up (You know, chin above the bar, arms bent, etc...) then pick your feet up off of the box and hold yourself up with your arms, now slowly straighten your arms. Repeat a few times. Take a break, do it a few more times. Do that every day, or every other day for 2 weeks, You should be able to do a pull up now.

Make SURE when you do the negatives (the thing I described above) you don't just DROP down. You have to lower yourself slowly or you'll bust your elbows and shoulders up. Once you can do 1 pullup then you do 1, wait a few minutes and do 1 more. In fact, put your pullup bar in a place where you walk past it multiple times during a day. Each time you walk past it do 1 pullup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 12:44pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroChick
    OK - I can't do pull-ups. Not even one. How do I fix this?

Should I do other arm/shoulder exercises and build up my strength before trying pullups? Which ones?

Should I just try anyways - just pull as hard as I can with my feet on the ground? Will that build up the right muscles?

Should I give a little jump to get my feet off the ground and just try to hang as long as I can? Will this lead to actually being able to do one?

I will consider it a personal victory the day I can do just one pullup. Who can help?
    Do you train at a gym? see if they have an assisted pull-up machine. Try a graduated hang/negative pull up, i.e. step up into "pulled up" position, position a box/chair off to the side that you can step up on, then from this position, slowly release until your arms are completely straight, let go, step up and do again.

For exercises to help you get there... lat pull downs (if you have access to the equipment), one arm dumbell rows.
    I'm kinda assuming you're talking pull-ups vs. chin-ups.

<this just in> ok, so ask and ye shall receive, found this.

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...033004,00.html

will probably answer all your questions
    Last edited by Marrt; 6/04/2007 12:46pm at . Reason: someone else found same link first. curse you Neildo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:14pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol!!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, gang. Great article.

[quote=Marrt]I'm kinda assuming you're talking pull-ups vs. chin-ups.
    /quote]

Ummmm - there is a difference between a chin up and a pull up? :confused4 I thought they were just different words for the same thing. OK - enlighten me?

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the wiki pull-up article:

Pull-ups are similar to chin-ups, which are distinct due to the underhand (supinated) grip.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_%28exercise%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=AeroChick]Thanks for the info, gang. Great article.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    I'm kinda assuming you're talking pull-ups vs. chin-ups.
    /quote]

Ummmm - there is a difference between a chin up and a pull up? :confused4 I thought they were just different words for the same thing. OK - enlighten me?
    Yes and no, the difference between the two is over grip (pull up) vs. under grip (chin up), i.e when you grap the pullup bar are you looking at the backs of your hands or your fingernails.

Under grip (fingernails) is more bicep focused (still will work back but not as much), over grip is very back focused, much less bicep.
    Last edited by Marrt; 6/04/2007 3:39pm at . Reason: fuck - deja vu - at least I didn't post a link this time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Whorian Gracie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt

Oh...I didn't know they had a different technical name. I thought they were both pullups. The real pullup and the sissy-pinktight wearer's pullup.
    I don't really know what Sirc does for pullups.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 4:06pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to bodyweightculture.com they have the level 1 through 20 excercise programs. Level one has one that should be a good starter to building up to the pull up.

The previous comments about assisted pull up machines at gyms is good too. Also you can do the lat pull down machine at the gym as a good builder as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast