I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear
    Same here in terms of left eye + right hand. I'm just considering changing to my left hand. Yay for ambidextrousity?
    Being ambidextrous doesn't help the fact that guns are made for right handed people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHI SASHIMI
    Being ambidextrous doesn't help the fact that guns are made for right handed people.
    Most guns. Thankfully there are some like the S&W M&P.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 1:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you don't understand what I mean. Yes it may be ergonomic and can be held comfortably in both hands.

But guns are made for people to be held with their right hands. Shells eject on the right side, which is why ranges don't let you shoot with two guns at once (well one of the reasons). Say a shell hits your right hand and you drop the gun, shoot someone. What then?

It's bad juju.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you don't understand what I mean. Yes it may be ergonomic and can be held comfortably in both hands.

But guns are made for people to be held with their right hands. Shells eject on the right side, which is why ranges don't let you shoot with two guns at once (well one of the reasons). Say a shell hits your right hand and you drop the gun, shoot someone. What then?

It's bad juju.
    Well...

For one, I typically hold a pistol centered in front of my face whether or not I'm holding it in my right or left hand, and it probably only deviates towards the right or left by a few centimeters, so as long as the shells are actually ejecting to the right like they're supposed to, there really isn't a problem for me. When they pop straight back into my face it becomes annoying no matter what hand I'm holding the weapon in.

Secondly, shooting two pistols at once is unweildly and hard to aim (and really serves no purpose other than looking cool in movies). Therefore, that combined with other aforementioned safety concerns is probably why a large amount of ranges make doing such things against the rules.

Rifles on the other hand are a whole other story.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear
    Well...

For one, I typically hold a pistol centered in front of my face whether or not I'm holding it in my right or left hand, and it probably only deviates towards the right or left by a few centimeters, so as long as the shells are actually ejecting to the right like they're supposed to, there really isn't a problem for me. When they pop straight back into my face it becomes annoying no matter what hand I'm holding the weapon in.

Secondly, shooting two pistols at once is unweildly and hard to aim (and really serves no purpose other than looking cool in movies). Therefore, that combined with other aforementioned safety concerns is probably why a large amount of ranges make doing such things against the rules.

Rifles on the other hand are a whole other story.
    I can aim fairly decently with two pistols at once. I also look like I belong in a john woo movie though, so maybe that helps out a bunch.

Rifles = you get burned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rifles = you get burned.
    Viva la pistola!

Posted On:
    6/08/2007 2:17pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still have a rifle round casing burn on my right forearm, from like 5 months ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 11:56pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got a permanent burn on the back of my neck from weapons familiarization back at basic training. For the record i carry a USP .40 during winter months when its bulk isnt much of an issue but have my slimmer Kimber Pro carry for the rest of the year. Fired a Sig P226 not too long ago and fell in love with the design but cant see myself buying it when i shoot better with the HK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2007 7:12am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

But guns are made for people to be held with their right hands.
    That really shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure how you hold/what stance/etc.

I have the left eye dom/right hand dom problem mentioned by others, and I can give a fair account shooting with either hand, though left handed just feels funny. Never had any problem with hot brass coming back at me either that woudn't have occurred anyway no matter which hand I was gripping with.
    And as said, rifles are completely different. That's why they make left handed versions of those. ;-)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234