Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kashima Shinryu

Has anyone here trained in this art? I have taken a particular interest in it, but I would like to hear some testimonials from people who have trained in it . Does it give a huge focus on kata? Is there regular sparring? Although the art seems to include battoujutsu, kenjutsu, naginata jutsu, and ju jutsu, which of these are the primary focus of daily training? Thanks so much.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane88
    Has anyone here trained in this art? I have taken a particular interest in it, but I would like to hear some testimonials from people who have trained in it . Does it give a huge focus on kata? Is there regular sparring? Although the art seems to include battoujutsu, kenjutsu, naginata jutsu, and ju jutsu, which of these are the primary focus of daily training? Thanks so much.

As a Ko-ryu it will have a focus on 2-man kata.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=elUrjvbxeYY[/media]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=elUrjvbxeYY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 5:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're considering learning from Inaba Minoru's organisation, keep in mind that he's not legitimate. He's considered a fraud by the Kashima Shin Ryu since he studied for less than a year! What he teaches is watered down heavily and influenced by Aikido. It's not the real Kashima Shin Ryu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 5:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O no, I'm positive it's legit. And I'm well aware Inaba Minoru's style of kenjutsu that he likes to call Kashima Shinryu. I've already been to the official website and such to learn about the art in general, just haven't heard anything about what practitioners thought about it relative to other arts. Thought it best to inquire here before I spoke with the actual students to avoid unnecessary biases.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, just thought I'd warn you. It sounds like you know what you are looking for which is good. I'd advise speaking with Dr Karl Friday with any questions. Also, get his book "Legacies of The Sword" as it discusses the ryu as well as the role of kata training in a LOT of detail. Friday also has a great essay on kata in Dianne Skoss' book "Sword and Spirit".

As far as I'm aware, it's considered to be one of the better koryu out there in terms of learning to fight. The last head, Kunii Zenya, was respected and regarded as someone very dangerous. By all accounts, the current head, Seki Humitake, also has a solid reputation and he he had to fight and beat practitioners of other arts as part of his training. Sadly, most koryu seem to have degenerated into sterile "dead pattern" training, but Kashima Shinryu has the reputation of still being an alive art.
    Last edited by shmuel; 6/04/2007 5:59am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 6:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wonderful! That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for! And thanks for the heads up on the book, I was looking at it but wasn't sure if it was going to be another "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature" that is more humanitarian and philosophy based than talking about the art. Thanks so much!