Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 9:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by undrcovrbrothr
    I think this a little extreme. It wasn't like my parents sent me to take piano lessons with a child molester. West Wind did have positive aspects as much as people here like to bash it. At the end of the day, even if you all don't think my "Black Belt" means jack sh**, I had to go through a lot to get there, and I learned a lot about myself and life along the way. Sure, WW became more and more unscrupulous along the way, but the core principles of what I studied were good things for a kid to learn. Sure, maybe my parents should have pulled me out and put me in a "real" dojo, but it seems like you guys might forget that there's actually blood, sweat and tears spilled on those mats, even if it's not squeeky clean pure perfect MA straight from the Orient, I still had to work my butt off to get anywhere. And my parents couldn't just negate all the hard work that I put in if I really wanted to fight through it. Once again, my fault, not theirs.
    I'm confused. The thread is called "West Wind Stole my childhood" and yet you look back on many positives. Take the positives and build on them. Take the negatives and ignore them.

Blood sweat and tears? Sorry, you were a kid. It may have seemed like a lot at the time, but I have yet to meet a martial artist under the age of 16 who really understood what it was they were doing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 10:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato_1
    I'm confused. The thread is called "West Wind Stole my childhood" and yet you look back on many positives. Take the positives and build on them. Take the negatives and ignore them.

Blood sweat and tears? Sorry, you were a kid. It may have seemed like a lot at the time, but I have yet to meet a martial artist under the age of 16 who really understood what it was they were doing.
    The thread subject was an attention grabber. There are several threads about West Wind, but I wanted to share my experience and help further the crusade against "bullshido". You don't have to tell me how to handle the situation, I can figure, and have figured that out for myself.

You know, this is exactly the attitude I thought I wouldn't encounter by coming here. I thought you guys were about helping people find the joy of MA in a legitimate dojo, not belittling everyone who's somehow a lesser martial artist in your eyes. The "blood sweat and tears" comment was about the school in general, not about myself. I was clarifying that even though WW wasn't a perfect system, that lest we forget, people still do train hard there.

Why do you attack my proficiency in the martial arts? I didn't challenge your expertise in any way, so do you have some latent insecurity that makes you feel as though you need to criticize any martial artist who comes your way? I don't care if you haven't met a serious, young martial artist yet; you didn't know me, so i'd prefer not to be assaulted with your preconceived notions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 10:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, so the thread was to grab attention for yourself. Sorry, I missed the "please give me your pity" tagline. I wasn't attacking your proficiency, more your view that, as a child, what you went through made you proficient.

Here's the facts: Kids, no matter what they think, cannot be black belts. Sorry, you might think you know a lot, but you don't know ****. My comment wasn't about you, nor about your school. It was about kids in martial arts. It may seem like a lot for you to take in, but in reality it was because you were a kid.

Did you get fucked over by a scam artist? Sounds like it, but I msised all the other West Wind threads.

Do you deserve a "Woe is me" thread? Nope. Sounds like you learned a lot of things, from your own posts. your instructor and your parents are to blame.

What you learned is a great springboard into another dojo.

I don't think this forum is here to give you a great big virtual hug and tell you it's all right and you are a good person.

I have met and trained many young martial artists and have never met one under the age of 16 that deserved a black belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 10:55pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, here's an interesting thread, let me blow it off track by attacking the OP on petty matters.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comments? Questions?
    ucb,

That's quite a story. Some of it is learning regarding not specializing way too much at too young an age. Kids need to have fun, play a bunch of different sports, and make friends.

Regardless of the BS going on at the school, what you earned and made your own through discipline and effort is yours.

What are you up to nowadays? Still young? In college? Doing any martial arts training, or did all the WestWind brainwashing take it's toll and drive you away?

Oh - don't listen to Kato - he's not represenatative of most people on this site.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't think this forum is here to give you a great big virtual hug and tell you it's all right and you are a good person.
    Looks like you missed my point, I'm trying to help you all out. I don't seek therapy in online forums, I have friends and family to help me if I'm feeling down. Judging from what some people have said it sounds like some people here like to hear first-hand testimonials about Bullshido. Perhaps I'm wrong, and if I am, then some generous moderator can delete this thread and I'll be on my merry way.

As to the rest, I'm too tired to have it out with anyone right now. Whether or not you think I deserved a Black Belt is irrelevant; I did what I did and I accomplished what I accomplished. So I'll just let it be.
    Last edited by undrcovrbrothr; 6/03/2007 11:31pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy

What are you up to nowadays? Still young? In college? Doing any martial arts training, or did all the WestWind brainwashing take it's toll and drive you away?
    I'm headed off to college next year. Graduating on Tuesday :toothy10:. As to martial arts, I not sure if I could begin again, especially after learning that the system that I put all that hard work into wasn't even legitimate. But perhaps one day. There are so many disciplines I wouldn't be able to decide on one to pursue.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm headed off to college next year. Graduating on Tuesday :toothy10:. As to martial arts, I not sure if I could begin again, especially after learning that the system that I put all that hard work into wasn't even legitimate. But perhaps one day. There are so many disciplines I wouldn't be able to decide on one to pursue.
    The system may not have been legitimate, but the hard work you put into it was legitimate. That is not a loss.

Find a good MMA school or club at college. You'll be like a fish out of water for a couple months, then you'll adapt quickly. You'll find the discipline in rolling hard in a laid back environment like that will feel like what you were looking for before, but w/o the BS aspects. That will be fun, and you'll be a lot farther along than starting new after a couple months. You'll make good friends too with cool people.

Best wishes. Oh, and some of the clowns around here actually could point you in the direction of good schools if you ask them.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrmm, Kato's pretty quick to try to get the criticism of West Wind and place it elsewhere.

Could it be we have a West Wind ninja infiltrator? Wouldn't be the first time.

You know, this is exactly the attitude I thought I wouldn't encounter by coming here. I thought you guys were about helping people find the joy of MA in a legitimate dojo, not belittling everyone who's somehow a lesser martial artist in your eyes.
    It's just Kato, who I think either has ties to WW or is just trolling the Martial Arts BS subforum, in which case a mod will be around shortly to spank him. Regardless of what your parents involvement was (not relevant to the topic at hand or this subforum), you've contributed to a Bullshido investigation that's been going on for quite some time. What you've shared here will hopefully reach others who are stuck in the WW system and feel like they can't get out.

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My message is and was: Do not simply blame West Wind. Look at and into why your parents allowed it to continue.
    Hey pinhead. Why don't we keep MABS to the topic of martial arts like WestWind. You can carry your thoughts on "Dr. Spock's Guide to Parenting" and Hilary Clinton's book on "It Takes A Village" on over to somewhere else that cares.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast