Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We keep hearing hushed rumors of "good Aikido" over and over. The few videos offered in evidence of it's existence have been underwhelming. I have not studied Aikido but I have studied DRAJ. In DRAJ there are many techniques that start with and end with strikes, many of the same multiple point of contact throws as in Judo and a dizzying array of joint locks. Where DRAJ fails is also the same place that Aikido (the elusive "good" or near omni-present bad) fails. No matter the mindset, attitude or intensity of "Uke/Tori" training it is, at heart, a compliant exercise or drill. That you can develop some adeptness at utilizing some techniques is concedible but ultimately it is an inefficient and poor way to train towards martial effectiveness. As Kano demonstrated, training against free and resisting opponents is the surest and quickest way to develop true martial competency. This truism has been demonstrated over and over on wrestling mats, in boxing rings, in Muay Thai stadiums and, perhaps most famously, in the Octogon of the UFC. That there are still, this many years after Royce Gracie's debut, people who meander the crookedest paths to martiality is mind boggling to say the least.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    8/14/2009 5:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen an aikido school that isn't either a quasi-religious cult, or a LARP club for latterday samurai.

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many have you seen?

And why are you checking them out?

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 1:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shinki ryu jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed the article .I trained full circle fighting for a little while but unfortunately I'm just a half circle kind of guy but have never forgotten the lessons learned.thank you for the insight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 3:39pm

Style: Fire and Water Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed the article. I have been studying kickboxing for about 3.5 years and have just started studying Combat Aikido as a backup option. I had no idea there was this "soft" form you spoke of.

In the school I attend we practice full contact fighting regardless of style. I have been thrown with Aikido techniques while participating in full contact open hand kung fu sparring. I found it to be quite effective when used to suppplement a primary style.

We only teach/learn practical techniques as we discard what does not work. Each person will also learn different techniques based on their age, weight, body frame type and speed.

Ric Watts
    Green Belt
    Fire and Water Kickboxing

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12