Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reference text below:
    I have been in martial arts for some time, and therefore have friends who train in many different styles. One of them happens to train in Wing Chun. The Chain Punch {shudder} is certainly hard and effective. I can attest to this after being caught on the wrong side of it. Afterwards we talked (at length) about it. When done alone it can look like a series of slaps, though I have also seen it look like a jackhammer. The application my friend taught me was as a "whip". The arms are loose until the moment of impact, then the whole arm tightens starting at the shoulder and finishing in the knuckles. At this point the arm relaxes and is drawn back, just to be replaced a moment later with the other arm.

The most interesting aspect of it is that if you get caught with the first one, you will probably have to suffer through the next 4 or 5 as well. The speed at which they are deployed is like an overload of the nervous system.

My advice: Watch carefully and learn that deceptive Wing Chun body twisting so that you are not there when that first strike lands.

Hm.

But are those chain punches really hard then?
    From the clips I have watched it just looks like waving to me. Distracting, sure, but knockdown...?

Disclaimer: I have never fought, seen or talked to a routined WT fighter, so what I know Is what I saw from the same clips 9chambers seems to have seen. Girl slapping. Heh.

"A good kick to the balls is almost as good as a gun, ya know"
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Girl Slaps:

Look at Vitor Belfort's matches with Forrozo and Tank Abbot in the UFC. Those are chain punches. The impact from one punch wheels you around and sends your other arm in .. Emin has no motion from his forearm on back in his chain punches. He is just kicking out his forearms like some kind of grasshopper or something. These are jabs ~ and jabs are quick set-ups for powerful follow-ups. A bunch of jabs in a row is pointless. Jab him in the eyes so he can't see the cross following right behind and you have something. Keep the power coming after that.

But .. jab and just keep jabbing and he is going to just grab you and throw your ass down.

His shoulders should be diving in when he is in the mount .. the way he is doing it shows no involvement of the body and its unrealistic. It is slapping and not punching. I know Wing Chun snaps on the extension while boxing pushes on the impact but you can't use your low knees and twisting waist down on the ground .. you are on the ground.

You don't have the leverage from the WC stance when you are punching downward ~ that's why WC punches rise up. You've got to throw your weight down at him with the punch when you are in the mount. WC punches are built for standing up.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say WC instead of WT because they really are WC punches. Like it or not WT is a complete rip off of WC so I will always give the credit to WC.

Anyway, boxing punches swing .. WC punches snap. Its like the difference between Muay Thai kicks that whip and snap kicks from ..

You know what .. never mind. If someone doesn't get this by now then they can just go watch a boxing match.

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do mean WT is a complete rip off of WC? Ip Man called it VT.
  5. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 5:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get it, and I agree 100 per cent on your assessment of the power in the wing chun punches, especially as compared with boxing punches and muay thai kicks compared with...other kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny how you sound like Emin coulden't hurt a fly, in reality I hope everyone here knows he would knock you the **** out 9chambers.

Posted On:
    10/03/2002 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think wing chun, muay thai, and BJJ all have its merits. I have heard cases where Bruce Lee using wing chun to beat the crap out of boxers. I think Bruce Lee had the right concepts. You train in all of them so no one can pull quick punches at you, kick the crap out of your shins or be out grappled.

yahoo
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2002 9:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers, I have done both boxing and WT, and although the mechanichs are different, the punches from the two styles are both very powerful: I wouldn't define the WT punch similar to a "snapkick".

As a matter of fact the WT punch is coupled with the momevement of the body going ahead with the forward step and it's more penetrating that i.e. a cross (in the sense of hitting through the target), so it's basically the opposite of a "snap-punch".

As for the punches from the mount I agree with you: if you do not involve the shoulder/trunk, you will loose power, but I have yet to try (receiving) them to express judgment.
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    10/05/2002 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bncwd,

Maybe "snap punch" is a bad way to put it. I was thinking of the way Emin flings his forearms out there. I guess it could be considered a whip too. I agree that when it is standing, WC drives through. You are right. On the ground though - the forward step and the body movement aren't there.

I like the Chun Ging punch. I agree that regular WC punches can be very sturdy and powerful. I like what I've seen from other WC guys and of course Bruce Lee. I am actually a fan of WC. I'm just not a fan of Emin.

Its not that I have anything against him. I just don't think he is anything really special.

Guest,

In your dreams.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2002 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad thing is that you are nothing but a message board warrior and will never ever challenge him - just spurt off lies behind your screen.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast