Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2007 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Most venues also have security requirements for events related to their insurance policites.
    Right, but there's a difference between that and then having a bunch of guys with suits and attitudes surrounding a teacher as he walks into the room and onto the stage. That's what I heard went on at some taikais. Apparently they were also keeping the unwashed masses away from Hatsumi so that no-one could get near him or speak to him. If that is true then it's pretty sad and cultish. He's a martial arts teacher not the POTUS.

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 8:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen him on the rather splendid "Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves" series on the BBC with Chris Crudelli. As a comparator, why do Boxers need Bodyguards? Well, because there is always a malcontent who thinks that his Sunday Punch could buckle a World Champ. Of course, this will usually be sneak attack etc. It allows for a boast if they are successful on, say, a featherweight but they wouldn't be likely to try it with Lennox Lewis "Well, he's too big" etc. They might also have the proverbial back up of a knife down their sock. That apart, I once had the privilege to attend a small seminar group led by Royce Gracie. What a gentleman! He rolled with everyone, signed everything, smiled genuinely in every photo and carried his own bag and left without entourage. Still, he's an exception. Sadly, it is still reasonable to expect some Minders to attend but suits and earphones?! Crikey.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 6/11/2007 11:10am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys, this is my first post.

With regards to the bodyguards, it's usually the organiser who either has a legal obligation to provide security, or it's a technical insurance policy. As for the dudes in the suits etc, I've only ever seen that at the American Tai Kai's. Those guys are for show, and probably reflect on the guy who organised/hosted the Tai Kai in the first place.

Also, it can be seen as a case of respect. Think on it traditionally.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 12:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grow_up

Also, it can be seen as a case of respect. Think on it traditionally.
    Traditionally?

Which other traditional martial arts teacher is surrounded by bodyguards?

BTW is it true that at Hatsumi's "seminars" he doesn't even teach anyone but instead does stuff on a stage wearing an Anthony Robbins-type microphone and that people have to watch him on big screens?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2007 3:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, lets replace the word tradition with history. Historically, all his students present (and this goes for many martial arts of the kobudo and koryu veins) would be his "guards" per se, although that's such a vulgar way of putting it. If someone was to try and attack/challenge your teacher, as his students you would go first, and if you lose, then he steps in. As I said before, those "bodyguards" you mentioned was just another over the top Americanisation. I've only ever seen that at the USA Tai Kai's.

Finally, at his seminars, there are fucking hundreds of people. He shows techniques on people on stage, then the participants attempt to learn the principles etc by doing the techniques on each other. During this time, he'll help people out that he sees struggling, and then onto the next technique/principle.

Funny, I joined this forum to find out more information on that viral-fraud Ashida Kim...Ah well, discussion and debate is always necessary.

Hope this helps

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grow_up
    Okay, lets replace the word tradition with history. Historically, all his students present (and this goes for many martial arts of the kobudo and koryu veins) would be his "guards" per se, although that's such a vulgar way of putting it. If someone was to try and attack/challenge your teacher, as his students you would go first, and if you lose, then he steps in. As I said before, those "bodyguards" you mentioned was just another over the top Americanisation. I've only ever seen that at the USA Tai Kai's.

Finally, at his seminars, there are fucking hundreds of people. He shows techniques on people on stage, then the participants attempt to learn the principles etc by doing the techniques on each other. During this time, he'll help people out that he sees struggling, and then onto the next technique/principle.

Funny, I joined this forum to find out more information on that viral-fraud Ashida Kim...Ah well, discussion and debate is always necessary.

Hope this helps
    Honestly, hoards of Tabi wearing Bujinkan Ninja doesn't inspire fear. Sorry.

Edit: grow_up, please fill in your style field. It is required.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody needs somebody. Nobody is invincible.:kermit:
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much is he pulling in from these taikais?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ima guess grow is a ninjer

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2007 1:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt anyone can make claims to being a ninja to be fair apart from Hatsumi soke at the moment, so no, I'm not a ninja.

You only need to look at the plethora of fools (Ashida Kim anyone?) to know that calling yourself a Ninja is risky business haha
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast