Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Don Angier genuine?

Does anyone know about Don Angier? Is he and his Yanagi Ryu genuine or made-up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWiYcxTm2A

He claims to have inherited a koryu art called Yanagi Ryu. Supposedly it contains Aikijujutsu, Kenjutsu and lots of other weapons like Naginata, Tessen and rope-binding techniques. Also jo, spear, tanto.

However, it is not listed on www.koryu.com as a genuine koryu.

What's the deal here? Is it real? Or did Angier invent it?
    Last edited by shmuel; 6/01/2007 5:59am at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 6:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who cares? Let the guy learn about ancient Japanese sword fighting if he wants to.

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 3:31pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can read it as Angier tells it here:

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_angier_0501.htm

I think the last time I read about it the consensus was that Angier was the real deal and even recognized as such in Japan, but that in all likelihood his art isn't a "real koryu," as much as a product of the era that produced Daito-ryu -- not martial arts from the feudal period, but close.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2007 7:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah "real" and not just a historical reenactor like some koryu people i could mention ( but am too polite to name ).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 11:09am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is quite skilled and highly respected in the Japanese martial arts community.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 2:34pm

Style: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never met him personally but I have and still train with people who have met him (at seminars); all speak very highly of his skill and I get very mixed opinions on Angier's personality.

His art is very principle based (like taking college physics) and very weapons (blade) oriented.

From what I've heard, if you get the chance, train with him.

One of his best students, Richard Elias, has a dojo somewhere in California.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_8353
    I've never met him personally but I have and still train with people who have met him (at seminars); all speak very highly of his skill and I get very mixed opinions on Angier's personality.

His art is very principle based (like taking college physics) and very weapons (blade) oriented.

www.yoshidahabujutsu.com

Also, Takamura Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu is a good art. I believe Toby Threadgill trained under Angier Sensei.

Richard Elias's dojo is affiliated with Don Angier and Shidare Yanagi Ryu, however it is not an "official" Yanagi Ryu dojo.

The only official Yanagi Ryu (as taught by Don Angier) dojo is the one where Don Angier, himself, teaches. I believe it is at his house.

This is an art you can't just walk in and sign up to study. There is a long long long waiting list and you must go through an interview process.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_8353

The art I study is also principle based and I find that this method of learning/teaching is much more benneficial and efficient than the typical "learn this technique, then this technique, then this....) method taught in most dojo.