228336 Bullies, 4578 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:16am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How good is Swimming

I've recently started Swimming to supplement my Cardio and have found that I do it more than I used to run because I actually enjoy it. People keep rolling off cliche lines like "Swimming is the best form of exercise because it works your whole body" but is this actually true?

I find that I'm toning up more after only a few weeks and I find myself seriously out of breath when doing front crawl but is it actually a good cardio supplement?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Streetfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not for bjj, its rubbish.

Do lots of sprinting and skipping.

Bjj needs good explosive power and you need good steam.

swimming is too constant and low intensity.

swimming would be better for say..kickboxers

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:35am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to do long, steady cardio, swimming is probably less likely to injure your joints because it's low impact.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:36am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You cant say it is rubbish because it is of a low intensity. You can also ran at a very low intensity. You try swimming freestyle for 50m full steam, rest a minute, another 50m and repeat and note the intensity. If that isnt tough enough for you try the same thing with butterfly. Like all things swimming's benefits depends on how it is done. Changing up the strokes is also something not possible with running. So yes swimming can be a very good cardio tool.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, but sprinting is far more effective for short burst work and massive intensity exercise.

Not saying swimming isnt good, runnings just better.

true about the joints though

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently being advise on how to do a variation of burst training while Swimming. Basically involves exploding into front crawl as fast as you can for a length or two.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 12:15pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did 15 minutes swimming as fast as i could yesterday and i was knackered afterwards! Could feel the burn in the upper body too.

I don't know if i buy into the whole 'running is better than swimming' thing or even vice versa as, well, BJJ is neither! End of the day they are useful for building up base cardio but to be fit for your sport you have to train specifically for your sport. Do you think Lance Armstrong could roll for an hour?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 12:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "you need to train specificlly for your sport"

do sprinters run up and down a field all day?
    no, they do weight training, they do breathing exercises, 90% of the time they arent sprinting.

the best way to be fit for your sport isnt always doing your sport.

Bottom line, sprints are the absolute best exercise for short burst power

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom line, sprints are the absolute best exercise for short burst power
    Not saying you're definitely wrong but I'd question that. What about plyometrics like burpees? What about Tabata squats? Sprints are definitely very good but I wouldn't be confident in saying they're the best.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 1:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming doesn't nearly work the legs as good as running. You can kick during freestyle, but because you are horizontally lying on water, you simply won't work on legs like you could in running. However someone talked about intensity, swimming is great for short bursts
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast