Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 7:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bucho
    Pedro Sauer interviewed him and gave him permission to have an affiliate school. As far as I am concerned, that is plenty for me (and really, given Pedro Sauer's unquestionable ability to teach and gauge ability in bjj, it should be plenty as far as anyone is concerned). He has trained with Pedro for more than 7 years. As he decided not to list his belt in his post, I will follow suit. It is his business to wear the belt he feels is appropriate for him, no matter what anybody thinks. On a personal note, I feel that we all need to get out of the mindset that only black belts can instruct or perform a martial art at a high level. You can go on Ebay and find courses that guarantee you a blackbelt in bjj in a year, so is it really worth it to discuss rank? Students can attend any of the classes Jared instructs anytime and they can decide for themselves if it is right for them.
    nobody's questioning pedro sauer's ability ... but as for it being you instructor's "business to wear the belt he feels is appropriate for him, no matter what anybody thinks"--well, that's just dead wrong. if he has a legit BJJ rank awarded from pedro sauer, great; he should be proud of it, and make it clear what it is. nobody should have any kind of problem with that. what your instructor "feels is appropriate" is irrelevant, though; he can't simply award himself a rank, period. and of course you don't need to be a black belt (in bjj, anyway) to instruct at a high level; bjj browns & purples have more than enough experience, for the most part, to give excellent instruction ... precisely because the bjj community's rigorousness in matters of rank & verifiable lineage provides built-in quality control. you can't buy bjj rank on ebay or anywhere else without getting a posse on your ass from places like this, the jjgear forum, and many other places. it matters, period.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredE
    "OK, you've been straight about your BJJ background--so what, exactly, is his? What are his qualifications to be teaching BJJ, exactly? How long & where has he trained, what rank does he hold, and under whom? He posted here & addressed none of those simple questions."

That's funny - you might want to read that thread again. Once and for all, lets get this thread straight here. The instructor that was being discussed was Eric Mooney, from the Idaho Falls Mixed Martial Arts Academy (Which closed this week BTW). I am Jared Emfield, the instructor at the Academy of Martial Arts in the same city. I posted on this thread to defend Eric and Kristina (the instructor who was criticized for teaching with a blue belt). My credentials were not in question, and when I posted, I posted a link to my Bio, which gives a detailed look at my background, belts earned, and a bunch of other stuff. I gave the link to that bio because my credentials need no defense.

ah--your student's tone made me think he was referring to the original thread subject. I did think it was odd that a pedro sauer affiliate would have been as evasive as the guy in the first website was. my apologies, carry on.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 9:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    ah--your student's tone made me think he was referring to the original thread subject. I did think it was odd that a pedro sauer affiliate would have been as evasive as the guy in the first website was. my apologies, carry on.
    No worries - this thread has been so confusing that sometimes I couldn't tell who was saying what about who (or is that whom)???

Anyway, keep rollin'

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 5:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    I want to be exceptionally clear with this post. My tone was inferred, you assumed what I was trying to get at. Here is what I meant, and this will be the last of my explainations. Jared didn't list his belt in this thread, so I didn't. He gave the option of going to his website and looking for yourself and reading about him.

When I made the comment about his belt, and him wearing what he feels is appropriate, you assumed that I meant he self promoted. You couldn't be any further from the truth. The real deal is that he only goes and tests after he has been told to by Pedro himself. He was a blue belt for a very long time, and he plans to do the same at purple. As I said earlier, he is the type of guy we could all learn something from. BJJ is about the journey, not about the color of the belt holding your jacket closed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bucho
    I want to be exceptionally clear with this post. My tone was inferred, you assumed what I was trying to get at. Here is what I meant, and this will be the last of my explainations. Jared didn't list his belt in this thread, so I didn't. He gave the option of going to his website and looking for yourself and reading about him.

When I made the comment about his belt, and him wearing what he feels is appropriate, you assumed that I meant he self promoted. You couldn't be any further from the truth. The real deal is that he only goes and tests after he has been told to by Pedro himself. He was a blue belt for a very long time, and he plans to do the same at purple. As I said earlier, he is the type of guy we could all learn something from. BJJ is about the journey, not about the color of the belt holding your jacket closed.
    once again--my comments were based on the mistaken assumption that you were defending the original topic of this thread, who had a website (now defunct) asserting a number of vague and suspect qualifications for teaching bjj; it was simply a case of misreading/mistaken identity. I'd delete my comments, but after all this cross-posting/quoting, that'd only add to the confusion. your instructor is clearly the real thing. OK?
    Last edited by G8; 11/08/2007 7:38pm at .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456