Posted On:
    7/31/2007 8:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Since we're on the topic of McDojos

Quote Originally Posted by NOmore BS
    I noticed my school name mentioned on this website. The school instructor in question is, in my opinion, an idiot. He hasn't done at least 1/2 the things he claims. He started out Taekwondo, entered Kenpo in 1995 and to my knowledge has no formal training in aikido, jubo, juijitsu, or MMA. He has not formally trained in Kenpo for at least the three years I was there. He is a manipulator and a disgrace to the term Black Belt. He is not a teacher. Rumor has it that he even promoted himself to 5th degree. Funny, because only a year ago he was a 1st degree. If belts don't matter to him why is he so bent on promoting himself. He was trying that **** when I was there, but I saw right through him. If someone from this website emailed me concerning him... I do not reply to those types of emails with information, Eric has had people email and even call me in the past trying to get information out of me so he can try bashing my school. He has no ethics or morals. As for my years of experience, I believe it to be unwise to base your opinion of me on that. After all, I ran a school as a blue belt and did quite well, just ask the parents of my students.

I'd like to understand: How does one get to run a school as a blue belt? I would think a decision to open a school would come after many years of training and a love for the art, not half way through the belt progression. Also, how do you draw in students to learn from a blue belt? Did you represent yourself to your prospective students as a blue belt? I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but it's interesting how schools start up.

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My history

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. When I was at Idaho Falls Kenpo, my instructor Eric, was called away. His highest ranking student was a teenage Green Belt, so he asked if I would keep the place going in his absence. I didn't want to see the school shut down because the kids work so hard... so I agreed. While he was gone I received my Blue Belt from an instructor out of Washington State. I never claimed to be anything more than the rank I wore. I don't believe in giving false images. I was told by parents of students that their children learned more from me. I decided I wasn't learning or having fun doing karate with him so I decided to leave. A year after I left I had some of his old students look me up and ask if I was going to open a school ... After contemplating it for several months I decided I would. I was a 2nd Brown Belt when I opened my school. I only teach private lessons. I am a born teacher, and continual student. I strive to improve on myself so I can better educate my students. I am currently a 1st black and look forward to learning more. I hope that helps answer your questions oldslowguy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 11:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, that makes more sense.

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 1:50pm

Style: Gracie Jiu-Jitsu / Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldslowguy
    Doing some research and saw this thread. I talked to him and seems to have a similar view of belt ranking as mine--"belts are worthless outside of the school". I watched some mat work and some sparring, but didn't get much of a feel for the training yet. If you look at the history of J&A, the head instructor doesn't have many years of experience. I met Emfield back in '95 and wasn't impressed with his teaching of Kenpo back then. I haven't gone there yet to see what their classes are like. I'm suprised that there is a lot of bashing of this guy but no one has written a good assessment of his skill, classes, or his students.

Hey Guys - I'm Emfield - This guy: http://idahofallskarate.com/instructor.html

I've read through this thread, and don't really have too much to say about it. I think instructor rivalries are a waste of time and energy. Life is too short to waste effort on these kind of things.

I would say though that when I look back at my Kenpo teaching in 1995, I'm not very impressed either. I was a fairly new black belt and 19 years old. That was a long time ago and Kenpo was all I knew. It was a fun system to train in and did a lot for me. I hope that for such a young man I did my best to pass on everything I could to my students.

That was a long time ago, and a lot has happened since then. Maybe my school would impress you today, or maybe it wouldn't. Martial arts are a lot like food, we all have different tastes and preferences. Idaho Falls has some great martial arts instructors, and I'm sure there is a fit for everyone. To each his own. If you spend your time trying to please everyone, you will inevitably lose sight of who you really are.

I have a ton of respect for the martial arts instructors in Idaho Falls, and I don't feel the need to tear down others to try to make myself look better. Eric and I trained together for a while, and he has a tremendous amount of skill and teaching ability. I have a lot of respect for him. Although I haven't spent as much time with Christina? (The J & A karate instructor), she always seemed capable, respectful, and is very clear about who and what she is. That shows integrity IMHO.

Josh Schultz owns a well-run TKD school in town, and we have also trained together. He is open to cross training and is one of the nicest people I have met. He exemplifies having an open mind and positive attitude.

Lyn Case is a local 8th degree black belt in Kajukenbo and an unbelievable fighter and teacher. If you've ever fought him, you'll know right away what I'm talking about. The guy is a stud. I don't think I've ever heard the guy knock another instructor or talk bad about other people. He is one of my role models.

It is a privilege to teach martial arts, as long as you stay true to who you are. I've worked very closely with the instructors in this area, and have nothing bad to say. On the contrary, there is a good instructor for every kind of student in East Idaho. I hope that I teach and behave in a way that earns their respect too.

That is all
    E

Posted On:
    8/12/2007 8:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, E! I have recommended people to your class for group instruction. I hope they took my advice, since I only do private lessons. I agree that Mr. Case is a great person to work with. I had the opportunity to work with him a few years ago. I also agree that there is a martial art teacher for everyone. Its up to them to decide.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Testiment to Jared's ability to teach

I am a student under Jared Emfield, and I practice GJJ. I am currently a blue belt, which I recieved from Johnny Carlquist in SLC at one of Pedro Sauer's main schools. I have trained with Jared for over a year and a half, and can honestly say that in that entire time, he practices exactly what he preaches on this site. He has been banned for his post (not sure why), but what he said is how he is. I don't know anybody else in this thread personally, but I would intvite anyone on this site to come and try a class with Jared. It seems to me that you want to find out who is real and whom is not on this site, I can assure you, Jared's skill as an instructor and as a practitioner is top notch. I hope this small amount of info is useful to readers of this thread, feel free to drop by.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in I.F, I've only heard good things about Jared Emfield from some MMA style guys i know. They have trained with lots of people and they said Jared is pretty good. Im starting GJJ with him next month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 5:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bucho
    I am a student under Jared Emfield, and I practice GJJ. I am currently a blue belt, which I recieved from Johnny Carlquist in SLC at one of Pedro Sauer's main schools. I have trained with Jared for over a year and a half, and can honestly say that in that entire time, he practices exactly what he preaches on this site. He has been banned for his post (not sure why), but what he said is how he is. I don't know anybody else in this thread personally, but I would intvite anyone on this site to come and try a class with Jared. It seems to me that you want to find out who is real and whom is not on this site, I can assure you, Jared's skill as an instructor and as a practitioner is top notch. I hope this small amount of info is useful to readers of this thread, feel free to drop by.

OK, you've been straight about your BJJ background--so what, exactly, is his? What are his qualifications to be teaching BJJ, exactly? How long & where has he trained, what rank does he hold, and under whom? He posted here & addressed none of those simple questions.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pedro Sauer interviewed him and gave him permission to have an affiliate school. As far as I am concerned, that is plenty for me (and really, given Pedro Sauer's unquestionable ability to teach and gauge ability in bjj, it should be plenty as far as anyone is concerned). He has trained with Pedro for more than 7 years. As he decided not to list his belt in his post, I will follow suit. It is his business to wear the belt he feels is appropriate for him, no matter what anybody thinks. On a personal note, I feel that we all need to get out of the mindset that only black belts can instruct or perform a martial art at a high level. You can go on Ebay and find courses that guarantee you a blackbelt in bjj in a year, so is it really worth it to discuss rank? Students can attend any of the classes Jared instructs anytime and they can decide for themselves if it is right for them.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "OK, you've been straight about your BJJ background--so what, exactly, is his? What are his qualifications to be teaching BJJ, exactly? How long & where has he trained, what rank does he hold, and under whom? He posted here & addressed none of those simple questions."

That's funny - you might want to read that thread again. Once and for all, lets get this thread straight here. The instructor that was being discussed was Eric Mooney, from the Idaho Falls Mixed Martial Arts Academy (Which closed this week BTW). I am Jared Emfield, the instructor at the Academy of Martial Arts in the same city. I posted on this thread to defend Eric and Kristina (the instructor who was criticized for teaching with a blue belt). My credentials were not in question, and when I posted, I posted a link to my Bio, which gives a detailed look at my background, belts earned, and a bunch of other stuff. I gave the link to that bio because my credentials need no defense.
    Last edited by jaredE; 11/07/2007 7:54pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast