On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojo Muay Thai

I've just had the intresting experience of training at a mcdojo muay thai club, www.singto.co.uk .

The warm up was fine slow jogging, shadow boxing and skipping. Then we moved onto one off kicks to the air as we jogged up and down the gym. Before some pad work again marching up and down the gym, the majority of techniques we practiced as one offs, flying knees etc, although to be fair we did practice double roundhouse, jab cross, jab cross and one actual combination (jab cross, left upercut, jab).

The class was then split up into two groups, the more advanced students who practiced light continuous sparring and the rest who looked at the brown belt syllabus prior to a grading soon. I was encoraged not to spar as I had only brought a gum shield and no groin protection, I did how ever watch and it was poor, I expect more realism in technique training and the fact that the students had never trained full contact showed through.

Onto the brown belt syllabus and this is where it gets really silly. The techniques are;

Gra Dode Dhe (Jumping Kick) - Gra Dode Sork Sap (Jumping Rear Elbow Chop)
    Dhe Glab Lang (Spinning Heel Kick) - Gra Dode Sork Dhee (Jumping Elbow Slash)

We were told that both elbow techniques (for the first you leap in the air as high as you can and drop you rear elbow onto the top most point of there head, the second you leap forward swap legs forward and elbow them in the temple) would result in "split skulls" naturally I querried this as thai boxing whilest being rough does not regularilly(sp?) result in deaths. I was told this was because muay thai boxers could easily spot these techniques and counter them and that these techniques were for use in the str33t.

He then demonstrated to the whole class how he would go about using them on (zombie) attackers.

And that was it having practiced the techniques on pads.
    We walmed down, end of class.

Nowhere (except the for those sparing) did we practice doing any techniques on people, whether resisting or otherwise.

At no point did the instructor demonstrate how to throw the techniques with full power, and paired himself with a small child presumably to avoid doing so as there were 2 children in the class.

Neither the students or the intructor displayed any abilty in delivering techniques. We covered no defence. The sparring i saw was a joke.

I understand that unrealistic attacks may be part of the history of muay thai and that students may be expected to do them but to teach them as street techniques is pure bullshido.

I did confront the instructor further after the class, I've had a wrecking bar drop from 6 foot up onto my head as i carried a load down a ladder, not only did it fail to split my head but it failed to stun me, I managed to catch it with my hand with nothing in and climb down the lader. Apparently this is because it landed on the top of my head but not on the fracture point.

I've nothing agenst the guy he seemed friendly and a relitively charismatic teacher. Unfortunately what he taught was pure bollox.

Oh yeh there was **** loads of marketing of mits and shorts and pads etc., a sign on the wall said gradings were compulsory every 2 months with an increasing price list as you got better belts. I was assured that this wasnt the case but that up to brownbelt most people felt cappible of grading asap.

What realy pisses me off is that they claim to be police approved, is there any point complaining to the local police?

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MT mcdojo i went to was worse - it was just like a fitnees MT class in disguise, the students occasionally met up and sparred, the lessons had none.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 5:22pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd ask the kru (assuming he even uses that title) how they're police-certified, assuming it's not already obvious. If he's vague there's probably not much you can do; if he mentions specific organizations, you might want to ask them about the school's status and complain at that point.

Incidentally, your post makes me feel more confident about the school I'm going to try out tomorrow...

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 5:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They've got a logo from the local (cambridgeshire) police on the website, I'm not going back there, the taster lesson was cheep as chips but after that it gets expensive .

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 6:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    belts in MT?

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well actually they were bracelets that go round the upper arm but they call them belts.
    And they say grapelings ghey. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those were legit Muay Thai techniques, but it seems a bit odd that for a rank test you demonstate some "move" instead of having the instructer take a look at your skills.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 9:25pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Jekyll
    well actually they were bracelets that go round the upper arm but they call them belts.
    And they say grapelings ghey. <shrug>
    The fact that there's a concept of "rank" in a supposed Muay Thai gym seems to a big warning flag, as far as I can recall Muay Thai is just like Western Boxing when it comes to belts. Being that the only belt ever involved is a championship belt.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    7/20/2004 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Reis
    The fact that there's a concept of "rank" in a supposed Muay Thai gym seems to a big warning flag, as far as I can recall Muay Thai is just like Western Boxing when it comes to belts. Being that the only belt ever involved is a championship belt.
    So I guess having the ranks/titles of "Kru" and "Ajarn" are warning flags of McDojoism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2004 7:45am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say that you should necessarily be wary of a Muay Thai gym that offers a grading system. Its an unfortunate aspect of business. The public associates Muay Thai with martial arts, and they like grading systems to mark their progress. Many gyms, in order for their MT program to survive, need to have those carrots to dangle in front of their students noses.

I wish it were different. I have always approached my Muay Thai training and coaching in the same way one would approach boxing. You come to the gym and work on your drills, and go home. If you want to know where your skills rank, you step into the ring either to spar or actually fight.

But again, the public associates Muay Thai more with martial arts than boxing, so when they step into your gym, they're looking for a "martial arts" experience rather than a boxing experience.

In all of the boxing gyms I've trained in, 75+ % of those in the gym were training to fight. In all the Muay Thai gyms I've trained and taught in, I'd say that we'd be lucky if 25% of those training were even INTERESTED in fighting. I'd say only about 10% are actual fighters.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast