Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What are the fundamentals of defending/attacking turtle?

Turtle position, as of now, is by far the biggest gap in my game, both top and bottom. Can anybody give a run-down of what the fundamentals are for this position? I'm not looking for techniques, I've already been shown a bajillion techniques. I need to know the basic things you're fighting for, like for example if we were talking about guard, things like "get good posture/break your opponent's posture first", and a couple ways to go about those.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread moving to Gitmo. You even put "What are the fundamentals of ..." in the title.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:49am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't giving your back in BJJ lose you 4 points and turtling would put you at a serious disadvantage?

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Verified here http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm Im confused as to why you would turtle in BJJ.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:57am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure to control his hips. If you're attacking from the side and reaching over with your arm to the other side, keep that arm down close to his hips like a belt. If you grip too high up on him and over reach, there's a good chance hell roll you over.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 9:53am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The points for back require back mount with hooks. Bottom turtle is at most an advantage, I believe. There's a risk when you turtle that he can take your back (or attack with submissions). But bottom turtle can also be a surprisingly offensive position or part of a transition back to guard. It's also pretty common to see guys turtle to avoid having their guards passed or to escape side control. North-south turtle is basically the sprawl after a failed shot.

E-) THE BACK GRAB: Is when the athlete grabs his adversary’s back, taking hold of his neck and wrapping his legs around his opponent’s waist, with his heels leaning on the inner side of his opponent’s thighs, not allowing him to leave the position.4 POINTS. NOTE: the points will not be awarded if both heels are not properly positioned on the inner part of the adversary’s thighs.Also be considerea back if the athlete has the leg over one arm of the will opponent but never over grab both arms, in this case no points will be awarded.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 6/03/2007 9:56am at .

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    Doesn't giving your back in BJJ lose you 4 points and turtling would put you at a serious disadvantage?
    Yesterday at a tournament I saw a guy in the advanced no-gi division who pulled half-guard until he got a sweep (resulting in 2-1 score for him) and then turtled half the match. I yelled at the other guy to 5-star him.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 1:16pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    The points for back require back mount with hooks. Bottom turtle is at most an advantage, I believe. There's a risk when you turtle that he can take your back (or attack with submissions). But bottom turtle can also be a surprisingly offensive position or part of a transition back to guard. It's also pretty common to see guys turtle to avoid having their guards passed or to escape side control. North-south turtle is basically the sprawl after a failed shot.
    what he said. and guys with a wrestling background and do all sorts of things from a turle.

if i'm in a bad position, i'll go right into a turtle because i have a really really tight one, then sit out and re-shoot and usually end up on top.

to the op: for BJJ, number one priority when attackign the turtle is to get a good tight gable-gripped seatbelt. from there, work to get in your hooks. The gable grip helps to keep him from sitting out and re-shooting, and with it, you can roll him into backmount.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 8:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    Verified here http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm Im confused as to why you would turtle in BJJ.
    I'm not trying to build some game centering around turtle, it's just a position that happens, and I'd like to get better at it. You lose points for getting mounted too, so I guess you shouldn't bother learning what to do from under mount? I don't get your thinking here... (not to mention, turtle isn't even considered a point scoring position)

Anyhow, I'm quite good moving from under side-mount to turtle, so if I could just get decent at escaping turtle, it would improve my escape plans in general a lot.

I'm also asking for advice from the top of turtle, as I'm not very good at attacking a person in this position either.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    to the op: for BJJ, number one priority when attackign the turtle is to get a good tight gable-gripped seatbelt. from there, work to get in your hooks. The gable grip helps to keep him from sitting out and re-shooting, and with it, you can roll him into backmount.
    Thanks, so would you say the seatbelt is the most important initial goal from all turtle positions? (front, side, back) I mean, for example, I just sprawled and my opponent turtles, and I try to come to his side, should I be working the seatbelt even as I do this, or are there other things I should focus on first before trying to come around?
    Last edited by MuKen; 6/03/2007 8:45pm at .

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuKen
    I'm not trying to build some game centering around turtle, it's just a position that happens, and I'd like to get better at it. You lose points for getting mounted too, so I guess you shouldn't bother learning what to do from under mount? I don't get your thinking here... (not to mention, turtle isn't even considered a point scoring position)
    My thinking comes from a vastly limited knowledge of BJJ.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast