Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 12:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a pretty standard/common question. We should probably put together a stick with the most popular options.
    If you are 5'3 and fighting a 6'5"er I suggest straight punches to the body. It's a LOT closer target than his head, if you have good footwork use that to get into your range and work his body hard and repeatedly, liver shots and knees to the upper thigh will help too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 2:09pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On serious note, what rule format are you sparring under? Sanda?

With that much height difference only way I see is turtle up, eat some punches, and get inside or jab your way in at an angle. From inside you better go for takedown clinch (underhooks, etc.) and go for takedowns otherwise the tall dude would put you in MT clinch and you are going to eat some serious knees.

I wouldn't go striking with someone that much taller than I and focus on takedowns.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 6/11/2007 4:00pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 5:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit what you can! I see students forget this all the time. Remember you do not have to throw an elbow to the head, a knee to the thigh sucks! Also work on slipping and bobbing and weaving, these are skills that can aid a lot in fighting some one with more reach than you.

Another option is to work on catching his/her push kick and pull to over balance. Watch Buakaw fight and he does this a lot. A slight pull towards you and step in with a cross or a knee, it will be quiet effective, even against a taller combatant.

One more option is to catch his round kick. Keep the leg def tight and sooner or later one will go to the body. When it does step lateral with is (lateral away that is.) This will take the "edge" off of the kick and allow you to get it under your arm. There are a ton of options here, but the one I suggest is a downward elbow just above the knee on the outside of the thigh. There is a nerve that runs there called the sciatic nerve I am by no means a pressure point buff, but some parts of the body just do not get hard. That pointy elbow will shoot pain from the knee all the way to the a$$. This is also one of the “classic” Muay Thai moves.

I am not sure how long the person with the question has been training, but with time he/she will learn many other ways to deal with that particular sparing partner. Learning to roll with a punch or a kick can be one of the greatest things a fighter ever picks up.
    Later,
    Zyph
    Last edited by Zyph; 6/12/2007 8:27am at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/12/2007 9:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I starter working this last night against a guy who has 7 inches on me, I throw a couple of jabs then a BIG overhand right, then come up inside and unload. Took me a while to get the timing down and I still need some work on it, but it was doing wonders.

:)

Posted On:
    6/19/2007 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with whoever said hard crosses to the body...a taller guy is begging you to throw body shots everytime he lifts his arms to punch or slap away kicks,feints....right as he gets ready to kick also...and when he covers up his head to guard...bang..to the belly..he's bigger...so it's like hitting the heavy bag in that he can't get his body out of the way in time to avoid shots to the belly. Just don't stand in front of him afterward. Circle round...and punish his body at every opportunity. If his hands come up, kick his leg. If he punches, come under (watching for uppercuts etc.) and punish his body.

You might want to try looping jabs up high or jab feints followed by a lead hook to the body/ear followed by hard crosses to the belly...or nose if he's a guy who bends over under pressure (like me). If he's waaay taller than you...soccer kick him in the outside thigh a few good times...if you do what I do, and aim to land with the inside of the heel or inside ankle bone...it'll hurt him whether he eats it, or blocks with his shin....(the heel and ankle are mad hard, I'll trade heel with shin anyday) If you tag him pretty good...he'll have to raise up his stance a little to keep moving as he gets cramping...let him come to you sometimes and roundkick his lead leg with your shin as he steps onto that foot...if you can time it to get him as the weight transfers he'll cramp nice and easy (easy considering he's 40lbs heavier and you already have to do that much more work to keep up). Being shorter, you can really dig the soccer kick up and into the thigh....the length of his limbs makes for easy targeting...just work on your timing. I hope some of this helps.

One more thing, if you really sink down your weight in the clinch....and sort of swoop down and up, you could push him up and off sometimes and kick him in the leg as he goes away...(honestly, you can do this even if you push, and you move back as he doesn't budge...just lean a little as you feel yourself go back and throw the roundkick...if I do this and miss ...I'll come around with the spinning backfist...it wouldn't hurt much if it did land...but it'll give you space...no one I spar runs into moves they see coming...also, don't roundkick him with your foot ...use your shin.

So anyway, punch the belly, kick the legs...good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 3:32am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the body shots advice. I am tall with a long torso and when I spar with a good short guy he'll come under my jab and get me in the ribs. Doesn't have to be a hard wallop every time, those body shots really do add up.

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 1:31am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Pruned from a post by Kintanonanaonaona

"One of my sparring partners has a few inches of reach and about 40lbs on me, I can't afford to trade punches with him, so I end up dancing around the ring while he hunts me down and pummels me. Whenever I get inside he clinches up and throws me to the ground. Does anyone have any tips or advice I can use?"

Let's try to answer this question as best we can. We see questions like it a lot and it should be answerable. I will heavily moderate this thread to remove crap.
    I didn't know any of my sparring partners posted here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123