Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:57pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I need a boxing coach :( .

IMHO everyone needs a boxing coach :P If you want to have a stiff jab it might be a good idea to spend several rounds throwing nothing but jabs on the heavy bag in each work out. We frequently work the jab to the point where your arm fails and you can't throw another one- especially the newer people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 5:23pm

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    IMHO everyone needs a boxing coach :P If you want to have a stiff jab it might be a good idea to spend several rounds throwing nothing but jabs on the heavy bag in each work out. We frequently work the jab to the point where your arm fails and you can't throw another one- especially the newer people.
    Everything about this post is correct.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 6:07pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hell, i still do that. my friends joke that if there's anyone i can't faze with my jab, i should probably start running away and proclaim the end of the world.

but yeah, training is be all, end all of techniques and other aspects of fighting. problem with your cross? see how it's done properly, than train in a mirror until it looks perfect. problem with your armbar? practice until you're training partners cant use their elbows properly anymore.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 6:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Folks who are answering the sample question, good job for the most part, However I see a lot of nonspecific advice. Things that can't really be implemented. The things I saw that looked like they could be taken from the forum and tried out were the comments about working the jab to get inside and then breaking the clinch before getting thrown. Though some specifics about breaking the clinch might be useful there since we can assume the person asking the question isn't good at breaking the clinch since they keep getting clinched and thrown.

My personal advice would be to work to the outside of your opponents jab, keep circling away instead of running backwards, while circling to the outside of the jab throw hooks to the head and body. Remember to keep your head protected as you circle, since circling into a hook sucks balls.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanonanaonaona
    "One of my sparring partners has a few inches of reach and about 40lbs on me, I can't afford to trade punches with him, so I end up dancing around the ring while he hunts me down and pummels me. Whenever I get inside he clinches up and throws me to the ground. Does anyone have any tips or advice I can use?"
    I would advise you to kick more on the outside. Try kicks with the lead leg. High, middle. and low. I like to use the lead leg to the inner thigh on taller guys but middle and high also. Try following your kicks with some punches.

On the inside I would say try to control your opponents head with the plam. Even on taller guys you have the advantage if you can get the head and pull it down. Try bear hugging to avoid getting thrown. You can still knee the legs and body from a bear hug around the small of the back and you can control a taller guy from this position.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 9:14am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Folks who are answering the sample question, good job for the most part, However I see a lot of nonspecific advice. Things that can't really be implemented. The things I saw that looked like they could be taken from the forum and tried out were the comments about working the jab to get inside and then breaking the clinch before getting thrown. Though some specifics about breaking the clinch might be useful there since we can assume the person asking the question isn't good at breaking the clinch since they keep getting clinched and thrown.

My personal advice would be to work to the outside of your opponents jab, keep circling away instead of running backwards, while circling to the outside of the jab throw hooks to the head and body. Remember to keep your head protected as you circle, since circling into a hook sucks balls.

Ah..so what I said, then!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 1:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, looks like I totally agree with Scrapper. though I feel like my language would be easier for someone to understand than his would.

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i mean, against bigger guys, i've recently been having some luck with the CM block against anything thrown by the rear hand to get inside, but i like the forearm parry shown by kidspatula
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFtJyNE5jc
    to get to the outside and perfect for you to set up a punch to the head or to throw from the side.
    the circling stuff mentioned earlier is correct, esp. the part about keeping your guard up.

also, feinting a lead leg cut/pick/RH kick until he blocks to get insides seems like a pretty solid idea as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, san-da, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need strategy against the tall man

I'm a little guy.. all my opponents are tall.. i use footwork and lots of overhands.. (san-da by the way) .. but sometimes i'm up against dudes that are like freakin 6'5ish .. and i'm only 5'3 :new_shock need strats or videos plzz x[

Posted On:
    6/11/2007 3:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for striking, i know people will say "get inside," but expanding on that, i say stay a hair out of his reach and step in just as he extends for a punch. not for kicks, because you'll meet a fist as soon as you step. for kicks, step in as soon as you see the foot leave the ground. this is all assuming you have a slight speed advantage against these people, and you have good footwork to boot.

if you can't seem to get out of the way, try making yourself even lower of a target for as he steps in for punches, by basically squatting right before going in for a takedown. it's more of a trick in your sleeve rather than a reliable tactic, but try it.

circle. alot.
    anything that makes them bend over slightly is good, too, whether a result from multiple body shots to ducking alot.

*also, try the SEARCH function. pretty sure this question's been asked plenty of times*
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast