Posted On:
    5/31/2007 10:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help! I can't work inside.

Pruned from a post by Kintanonanaonaona

"One of my sparring partners has a few inches of reach and about 40lbs on me, I can't afford to trade punches with him, so I end up dancing around the ring while he hunts me down and pummels me. Whenever I get inside he clinches up and throws me to the ground. Does anyone have any tips or advice I can use?"

Let's try to answer this question as best we can. We see questions like it a lot and it should be answerable. I will heavily moderate this thread to remove crap.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he is throwing you from the clinch then you need to work on your base. Since you are shorter it should actually be harder for him to throw you. When he goes to throw you keep your hips over your feet and lower your center of mass.

The next step would be to try and break the clinch but stay inside. That way you can work inside his reach short shots like hooks and uppercuts are especially good for this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 10:47am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good jab would go a long way in this situation, especially if you can use it to counter him. Don't try to trade with him, instead when he comes in to pummel you hit him with a stiff jab, or better yet a 1-2 and step away from his power hand. I also like WS's idea of breaking the clinch so that you can land hooks and uppercuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:19pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whiteshark,

I assume we're talking about something like a Muay Thai ruleset here, as opposed to MMA. (I know I know, this is obviously in the Striking forum, but it's a somewhat important clarification I'd say.)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyZ
    Whiteshark,

I assume we're talking about something like a Muay Thai ruleset here, as opposed to MMA. (I know I know, this is obviously in the Striking forum, but it's a somewhat important clarification I'd say.)
    Its just an example question so feel free to answer either way you like. Just specify the rules.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    A good jab would go a long way in this situation, especially if you can use it to counter him.
    I don't know , most tall and/or long armed people make me pay for counter punching on the edge of my range . I basicly phase out the jab , against people who have reach advantage on me .
    Don't try to trade with him, instead when he comes in to pummel you hit him with a stiff jab, or better yet a 1-2 and step away from his power hand.
    If I try to counter jab I am usually knocked back out of my range or get stuck right outside my range .

I say step outside his lead arm/foot . Then proceed to move in and chew them up with hooks and uppercuts , initiate your own clinch from the same outside angles to work in solid elbows and knees .

I also like WS's idea of breaking the clinch so that you can land hooks and uppercuts.
    WhiteShark has teh correct 90 % of the time , when it comes to stand up it is well worth listening to .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 1:39pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I don't know , most tall and/or long armed people make me pay for counter punching on the edge of my range . I basicly phase out the jab , against people who have reach advantage on me .

If I try to counter jab I am usually knocked back out of my range or get stuck right outside my range .

I say step outside his lead arm/foot . Then proceed to move in and chew them up with hooks and uppercuts , initiate your own clinch from the same outside angles to work in solid elbows and knees .

I'm pretty short so I'm always working with taller guys, and jabbing my way in is how I get close enough to land the hooks and uppercuts. The more of a reach advantage my opponent has the more important my jab is for getting close. If you're getting knocked back when you jab I don't understand how you expect to get close enough to use your in-fighting. By countering I mean you smother his jab while coming back with your own so if you time it right you won't get hit and you'll be in a good position to throw some nastier shots.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 1:53pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch a lot of Kosta Tzuyo (sp) fights. The man my be the greatist clinch worker of the modern boxing era.

Stay busy, work on your base, and never break clean.

Or try to work outside. Instead of coming inside, feint and step outside his lead hand and work him from the angles. It'll make it harder for him to counterpunch as well.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They way it's written, it sounds to me like he's just completely out-classed in all stand-up ranges.

If that's the case, I think his best bet is to get his partner to dial down. He needs to be given more opportunity to pick any given basic and work fundamentals instead of being overwhelmed everywhere. Only then will any of the other advice listed here become useful.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    I'm pretty short so I'm always working with taller guys, and jabbing my way in is how I get close enough to land the hooks and uppercuts. The more of a reach advantage my opponent has the more important my jab is for getting close. If you're getting knocked back when you jab I don't understand how you expect to get close enough to use your in-fighting. By countering I mean you smother his jab while coming back with your own so if you time it right you won't get hit and you'll be in a good position to throw some nastier shots.
    My jab sucks , I use it to some effect , but I know I don't utilize it properly . I try to make up for it by being quick on my feet , and smart with my low kicks when they jab or advance .

I normally just try to get at a fucked up angle to them and make them reach then capitalize on the situation . Either chase their strikes back in with a combo ( trying to make use of my low kicks and my shitty jabs and crosses , and ok lead hooks ) , till I can clinch or use my knees , hooks and uppercuts .

I attempt to do exactly what you describe at the end there ... but my jab is basicly just putting leather in their face as something to think on . I need a boxing coach :( .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast