Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Yeah, but how can a person write about what's good physical and psychological training, dieting and stuff for MMA fighter (and make money from it) if he's never trained/compete for MMA nor trained competitive MMA fighters????
    By making the stupid I'm talking Mixed (as in the Kung fu?karate/TKD) Martial Art debate that rears its ugly head here.

It looks horrible as hell. You know as well as I Fuers will turn a phrase to make a buck.

That is why I quoted his styles, it doesn't support our definition of MMA.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I received a response from Yoshi Kundagawa.
    Henry, my staff will send you a complimentary copy of the ebook to review.

There is a picture on the website of me and our last pro victory, Markhaille "Showtime" Wedderburn at Ultimate Cage Wars at the Middleweight division. One of the amateurs I help train won the North American Lightweight belt in Muay Thai last weekend in Vancouver.

If you like the ebook, let me know.
    So Markhaille "Showtime" Wedderburn is the pro fighter he has trained, his record appears to be 1-1-0 was defeated by arm triangle on march 30th KOTC.

Coming up next the e-book review.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I received a complimentary copy of the “win your mma fight” E-Book. This came 25 page pdf. For the sake of completeness I will break this down page by page.
    Page 1. Title
    Page 2. About the author. Claims to be “widely considered one of the top mixed martial arts authors on the Internet” says he has competed in grappling tournaments and amateur mma, or as he says “Eastern Canadian mixed martial arts tryouts for major MMA promotions like Apex and King Of The Ring.” (major?)

Page 3: Copyrights & piracy notice.

Page 4: Intro where he promotes his store martialarts3000.com

Page 5: Table of Contents

Ok 20 pages of meat! Actually, page 25 is an advertisement for martialarts3000.com, so 19 pages of meat!

Most of it is dedicated to the preparation for the fight and how to corner a fighter. The most detail is useful things about

Page 6: Here he writes about fight cards and getting signed. He talks about Training camps, and Tito Ortiz, It becomes clear that he has seen the film “7000ft”. He talks about the 5 essential components of training: Strength, Power, Endurance, Technique, Recovery.

Page 7: Core Strength Training: Half of the page is about how MMA isn’t body building, how you should minimize it before your fight to prevent injury. He recommends 5x5 BP, squats, DL, MP, chins, rows. I agree. He tells you to Google search for kettlebells and sign up to his mailing list if you want to buy his up and coming “Core Strength Training For Mixed Martial Artists” ebook.

Page 8: Explosive power: Talks about how to EXPLODE is the way to escape mount. While I agree I think there is a lot more to it than that. He bitches about people who are genetically gifted and complains about having skinny wrists and being out of shape. He explains in detail plyometric box jumps for a third of a page. He mentions doing fancy clap-pushups like on “The ultimate fighter”. The rest of the page is dedicated to Jump squats, which he advocates doing 100 of and doing with a partner on your shoulders (so much for avoiding injury!)

Page 9: Endurance: he talks about how one of his “pro fighters” would drag around a 200 pound sandbag . This page is filled with partial line non-sequitors such as “Now do it ten thousand times”, “Now do it ten thousand times”, “Question; how long is your fight?”, “Are you ready?”, and “Seriously, how is your cardio?” all of wich are separated by full-stops.

Page 10: Bas Ruten MMA workout, wrestle, sprint & climb stairs

Page 11: A circuit where you do lots of “jumping squat high knees like Tito Ortiz does”. On to fighting techniques. Oh, but fighting techniques are beyond the scope of this “special report” (excluding aforementioned tito-ortiz jumpsquathighknee’s). He glosses over cross training and then The most he ever says about game plan here is that “Your game must be well-rounded and well thought out.” Gee thanks.

Page 12: First he says you should be very selective and cautious about sparring partners, then he says you should spar with all the “weekend warriors” off the street you can find. He says that you should work up to sparring with 4 oz gloves on then repeats ad nauseam that “rule #1: no one gets hurt”. He then encourages you to sign up to his mailing list to hear about their upcoming striking instructional. Rest of the page is about recovery

Page 13: You are invited to jot down 5 things you know about your body and how it responds to training and rest in the provided space. Reiteration of rule #1, and how you should dump the spaztastic douchenozle training partner you picked up off the street after reading page 12.

Page 14: He talks about rest and overtraining, then rattles off four lines of stuff about “the harder you train”

Page 15: Be disciplined, dump your girlfriend, don’t do chores, stop watching tv, and use “special goggles that
    flash red lights into your eyes and put rhythmic beats into your ears to induce mild
    trances and reduce stress”

Page 16-18: Diet: He advocates frequent meals. Cutting weight: he describes how he cut 11 pounds (from 150 to 139) for a grappling competition where he weighed in an hour before the match. He “tore his sauna suit” so he rubbed Vaseline on his torso and taped a garbage bag around himself. He says a week out you should reduce your water intake to 3-4 glasses a day and that that three days out you should reduce your water intake to “ice cubes to handle the thirst”. He said he was up on points when he got caught in the triangle. Page 18 talks about the dangers of cutting weight, a paragraph on Travis Luter, then one that talks about the success of a fighter who successfully used the PROPER cutting technique of not starting to dehydrate until 24 hours before the weigh in.

Page 19: 48 hours out…Now its time to develop the game plan? The plan: don’t surround yourself with “wannabe gangsters blazing all the time”. Checklists.

Page 20: Weigh ins. One paragraph on the importance of bringing photo ID. How to act on the scale.

Page 21: What to do before the fight, I guess this is decent info, but somewhat obvious stuff like: get there early, and bring an iPod.

Page 22: How to corner

Page 22.5: What to do in your fight. OK I made this up, this page doesn’t really exist.

Page 23: How to give post fight interview. More encouragement to sign up for his mailing list.

Page 24: Reflecting upon what you learned. Platitudes abound.

Overall, there is plenty of good information contained within this document, but nothing you couldn’t glom from watching TUF, UFC, or 7000 ft. I really don’t understand how someone whose only actual experience is one amateur grappling competition and preparation for amateur MMA can write an e-book like this. I mean, that’s about how much experience I have for goodness sake!

Did I say e-Book? At 19 pages this is more like an e-pamphlet. Nowhere on the website that promotes this does it indicate its actual length. According to the site it, it has 10 chapters. Since when is a chapter 1.9 pages? Especially with a large amount of full stops, whitespace, and filler.

To make a long story short: It’s garbage.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 11:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I figured as much. That's why I said we needed to see a copy. Glad you didn't have to pay.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12