Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ranson, WV: Zingg's Karate

Aliveness: Sparring was almost always full-contact, but chest protectors were usually used and targets were limited to areas covered in the Marquis of Queensbury rules. Self-Defense techniques were often done at full power against resisting opponents, and knife defense techniques usually involved getting the knife as soon as possible.

Equipment: There was adequate equipment, including medium and heavy bags, pads, and plenty of weapons.

Gym Size: The size of the gym was about average. The amount of space was almost always adequate.

Instructor/Student Ratio: Usually around 9 or 10 students in the Tozan-Ryu class. The Jiu-Jitsu classes were smaller. Occasionally there were many more students.

Atmosphere/Attitude: The atmosphere was casual outside class, but strict in class. Training was hard, and good technique was expected.

Striking Instruction: All regular karate kicks, punches, and katas were trained. There was regular bagwork.

Grappling Instruction: Throws, takedowns and escapes from holds were trained, but there was little training of groundwork.

Weapons training: Weapons used included the bo, jo, sai, nunchaku, tonfa, and kama. The weapons kata were traditional, and bunkai was covered. There was no freestyle sparring involving weapons.

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey cool, someone said something about my school. It seems pretty accurate. Glad the person seemed like they got something out of the training. I honestly do not know who wrote that review, but I would add that more ground work occurs, depending on who is available in class for the training. I often have a fluctuating class size and don't want to put a kid against an adult in randori. I have another instructor who works with me in the school who is a judo 4th dan and a ju-jutsu 5th dan that teaches the ground work classes. We had a small ju-jutsu team of teens and some of the older kids that went to some of the smaller grappling/ju-jutsu tournaments in our area and did very well a few years ago, unfortunately they all grew up and had to get a real job or went to college. I am hoping to get another one going when some of my current students get their skills up.

As for the Marquis of Queensbury rules not sure what that means, guess I will have to look it up on Google, but since this is not the "good ol' days" I have to be concerned about litigation and limit the degree of contact that I will let the averge student particpate in. That wasn't the case years ago when I started karate (I'm 52 now), but things change. I would love to let the average guys really go at it , but don't want to run the risk of a stupid type of injury then someone getting pissed off and sueing me. But, with certain students for specific training we let the good times roll.

Keep up the good work Bullshido

Thanks for the review.

Rob Zingg, owner Zingg's Karate