Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 3:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed Aesopian made a reference to "smearing" which I originally heard from Tom Oberhue and co. in the cross side top dvd's. (not sure if that's where aesopian heard the term) towards the end of the disk set, they show a submission similar to this.

the reason i bring this up is the entry could be very valuable for this choke. in essence, they start the attack from N/S but they lift the head and slide the knee under to prop it up. the guy is resting on your knee. for me, this opens up the neck sometimes for me to get a really good grip.

another thing that i've found and i've seen clips of people doing is staying in side control, wrapping the head and sprawling hard into the face. i don't mean drop the hip to break the nose, but sprawl so that its really uncomfortable for him to turn into you. as soon as he turns away, you're ready to adjust to n/s for the choke. i've tried that and it works for me pretty regularly.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 12:18pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Founder of College Park Mixed Martial Arts Style: BJJ, San Shou, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that the size of my opponents neck relative to my arm determines if I want to do it with the arm in or not. For guys with skinnier necks, I need the arm in, for those that have big arms and/or larger necks, I like to do it without the arm in so I can use more pressure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 11:27pm

Style: BJJ-Caique, Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I always have to remind myself to keep making little adjustments and be patient Ė donít give up the choke just because he isnít tapping in the first few seconds..
    I have to do the same with the side choke as it does not set in as quick as I expect. This is a very similar choke, so I would seem like the same applies here.

Thanks a million for posting this. I will try it out tomorrow in class!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    North south choke 35 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B7yepxGU8M
    who was that kid fighting you? he showed a lot of heart, and you while you were beating his ass, you seemed to be teaching him a lot, via said ass beating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 4:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train under Shawn Hammonds and he's trained with Monson before. So he's been over this choke many times. It really is difficult to convey effectively the choke through images and even in person. I've drilled this choke tons and still feel I'm pretty poor at applying it effectively. The three biggest keys for me were catching the chin early, finding a good point for the three point pressure, and slinking my my hips and body away from my opponent. Especially sprawling and getting low before transitioning to north south from side control to The feel of a correct Monson choke is hard to put into words.

It definitely is a choke that requires patience. The choke doesn't require any strength. You really shouldn't be using any muscle to finish the technique in my experience. My best Monson chokes have always come when I haven't been trying to squeeze with my arms. I just make sure the bicep of my choking arm stays flexed.

I actually prefer the one-armed version that has some slight differences. I don't think the one-armed version is popular yet. It should be because it is easier and allows some easier transitions if the choke isn't working out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2008 3:26pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We went over this at a Rob Khan seminar two weeks ago, and he pointed out two nuances that seemed to make a big difference in the strength of this choke.

1) From side control, with your non-choking arm, grab the same side wrist and extend your arm as you walk to N / S, so stop the opponent from following, and to allow you to extend your hips out and flatten them to the mat. This will give you space to sink your chest down.

2) instead of walking to 12' o' clock, the normal N / S position, walk out to 2 o'clock, so you've walked past the normal N / S position. This extra rotation will help to turn the opponents head away from you, increasing the effectiveness of the choke. If the opponent turns into you, you will be merely cranking the neck.

This seemed to make all of the difference when we were drilling it.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by talmage4
    who was that kid fighting you? he showed a lot of heart, and you while you were beating his ass, you seemed to be teaching him a lot, via said ass beating.
    That was Sirc. He goes by Sarcastro at the moment

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    12/22/2008 5:22pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The north/south choke is best setup from cross side, imo. You're too far away from your opponents hips to try to set it up in north south position so if you're not exceptionally quick with it, your opponent can quickly start a bump/elbow escape and reposition.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2008 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: relson gracie jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Skellington

As for nomenclature, when I asked Fabio the name of this choke he said "it's just a guillotine from another angle."

how bout DRAGON SLEEPER

YouTube - Ultimo Dragon vs El Dandy Botch

YouTube - Britpro Dragon Sleeper
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234