Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2007 12:24pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wierd thing is I've been able to do this one but it's been a pain for me to show people. I'll show them this, sounds better than the way I do it.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/02/2007 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    Is it possible to open the hole up by slipping the arm around their neck for the choke and pushing their forehead with your free hand when they tuck their chin?
    You're going to have to pass your arm under your body and between your body and their head, creating space. So, I don't see that helping.

I went over it briefly with my instructor today. He did it. The girl I was rolling with did it drilling. I crushed her head. Stupid choke.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/02/2007 5:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I correct in thinking your ribs are the tool you use to move the guy's chin, once you're under it? Once you feel his face along your ribs and his chin on your arm when you push with your left foot you've got it?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/02/2007 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, but your arm is almost perpendicular to your spine. Youre pretty far out.
    FYI Monson does this twice and Fowler once on 101 v2.

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 4:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 7:15am

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmph; when I learned it (I can't pull it off effectively except maybe on opponents who aren't trained in grappling) we just called it the north-south. I've never heard of it referred to as the monson choke until now.

But, more importantly, where'd you get the images from? Are they from Marcelo Garcia's X-guard book? I was thinking about getting it, but I don't know that I would trust myself to be able to use the x-guard without live instruction, which would leave me with just the butterfly guard stuff to look at (and even then, probably still not use effectively without live instruction or an intense number of attempts during rolling). I also have no idea whether the book is primarily gi or no-gi or both. Anyone want to weigh in and help me feel like a smart consumer?

P.S. I'm probably not skilled enough to use any of the more advanced stuff in the book. The real reason I'm interested is because I was told that it was one of the best books from a learning perspective; the steps for each technique are laid out in a manner that makes things easy to follow, as opposed to some books that don't really show transitional steps. As that is the case, I'd also really appreciate anyone pointing me in the direction of any books that are good because of the reason that I just stated.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 2:12pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not from the X-Guard book, it's from Gracie Mag's site or something.

And The X-Guard really is well set out and detail-rich, but as with all books it's still just a book. It's about half and half gi and no-gi and it mentions which gi techniques directly transfer to no-gi, and it contains some leglocks like heelhooks you probably wouldn't use in gi, but it's still only as good as the training time you put into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 3:59pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet. Thanks.

Posted On:
    9/03/2008 11:45am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started BJJ with Marcelo and Fabio (the victim in the above photo sequence), and have continued with Fabio since Marcelo moved to Miami. I quickly found that I had -- probably because of wrestling -- a fairly easy time getting to side control, but I wasn't really sure what to do from there. When I asked Marcelo for some tools, this was the first submission he taught me for that position. The main trick for me was learning to use the armpit/lat to push the chin up while transitioning to north/south.

As for nomenclature, when I asked Fabio the name of this choke he said "it's just a guillotine from another angle."
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 1:21am

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have worked on this with a guy at my gym. A little trick that we have found is if once you get the choke, hip switch and drop the back of your lat against the side of their face and then sprawl out, it helps to get your armpit closer to their neck.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast