Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 1:57am

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do like the direction the thread is going, but i guess i should make it clear-- i DO know how to shoot, but i am considering a .22 for my friend for the reasons given by the other fine members commenting on this thread.

as for the mosin-nagants, i shot one not too long ago, and i just didn't like it. it was probably due to the fact that i had to kick the damn thing to get the bolt to open after each shot.

just because i'm bored, and i just played a drinking game where everytime i couldn't get my practice lock open in 20 seconds, i have to take a shot, i'lltell my story of how i got into shooting.

regardless of the crude things i often say on this forum, i am actually an eagle scout, but i will say the only things i learned were: playing with knives, playing with axes, playing with fire from wood obtained by said knives and axes, shooting rifles, shooting shotguns... and tying a f'ing square knot.
    i was 13 when i first went to summer camp in catalina; the first 2 merit badges that caught my eye were rifle shooting and archery. it turns out i was too weak at that point in my life to pull back a bow properly, so they cut me from the class. pissed right the hell off, i decided to make sure i shot rifle perfectly to make myself feel better.
    so i show up to the 50 yd range, and there are 12 brand-new marlin .22 rifles waiting for us on tables. i loaded my first shot and.... hit the target the next lane over. turns out i was left eye dominant. i say "was" because from that point on, i would spend all that extra effort to use my right eye to aim, and eventually, it became natural. my next four shots were decent. (now that i think about it, my policy of 5 shots per clip at the range probably stems from my experiences here) i got right back in line, then made my first quarter-sized grouping in my life on that try. granted, we were in the sitting position, but i'll never forget the experience. looking back on it, it was a great lesson in lining up sights properly.

anyone else have first-time shooting stories?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 2:33am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    as for the mosin-nagants, i shot one not too long ago, and i just didn't like it. it was probably due to the fact that i had to kick the damn thing to get the bolt to open after each shot.
    The most common reason for that is not having all the cosmoline cleaned out of it.

Course, if you didn't like it for other reasons, then no worries. A .22 is a fine choice anyway, I do love that caliber as well.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 3:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Mosin and really like it, but I like my #4 Lee-Enfield much more. I'm looking at getting a Mauser soon. I've found that when buying old surplus rifles, it pays to fork out a little more.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 3:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Oh, and Kurt Saxon? Are you fucking kidding? You and Elmore have the same sources it would seem.

There's nothing wrong with Kurt Saxon. I bet you don't like Jim Dakin either. Says alot for military intelligence..... NOT! :new_shock

& I hope you're not talking about Phil Elmore, I might take offense. God knows that it would be the first time around here...NOT! :new_shock

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 4:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Yes, the .22 is cheaper, however...

When it comes to learning to shoot, quality does not improve with volume. Perhaps when learning fundamentals (BRAS, which should take about ten minutes.) After that, you will find that your first few shots are brilliant, and the ones after that get lamer and lamer...

So why not get in that extra practice? Because the brain remembers the LAST thing it did the best. If you wear your concentration down shooting 100 rounds, those shitty final five shots will be what your brain attunes itself to during your down time. Not good at all. Five decent shots will cause you to progress faster in your skill than 100 mediocre ones. It works even better if you take a five minute break between shots to cool off both your barrel and your concentration.

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Hey there Dead Eye, were you under the mistaken impression that these kids were training to be designated marksmen or snipers? They just want to get something to go out and have fun with. Maybe learn something along the way.

"Hey, guys! I got our new super high-speed sniper rifle!!!"
    "Awesome! Let's go shoot it at stuff."
    "Okay. Cool. Here are your 10 rounds, here are your ten rounds, & here are my ten rounds."
    "What, you didn't buy more?"
    "Hey, they're match-grade handloads, guaranteed to sub 1 minute of angle at 500 yards, no matter what, or my money back. These are what snipers use."
    "Minute of whatthefuck!?!"
    "Who cares about that? What I want to know is why we only have 10 rounds each!"
    "Okay, well, SFGoon off of Bullshido- you remember Bullshido, right?"
    "Yeah, that chatroom with the picture about 'Jujitsu is Gay but only if you make Eye Contact'?"
    "Yeah, that was funny! Oh, & it's a Bulletin Board Forum, actually-"
    "WHATEVER!!!"
    "Okay, so anyways, SFGoob said that we only need 5 rounds to zero the scope when we each get to shoot. Well, he said that only civilian losers need more than three, but anyway, after we each adjust the scope for our turn, then we get 5 rounds to shoot. Any more and we won't learn how to be high-speed super snipers! Besides, shooting more than that is just 'throwing lead downrange', & that's just gay if you ask me!"
    "Whatever, dude. (Whispering to other friend) *hey, I told you we should have kept our share & bought that SKS, dude, that would have been rad."
    (Friend whispers back)"Dude, I wanted to buy scotch with mine! This sucks!"

"Okay guys, here are your sand bags. You rest the forstock on this, it helps your aim. Next week I'll teach you guys some cool sniper sitting position. They're only uncomfortable for the first few weeks..."

Yeah, I don't think that was the plan. Get over it.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 9:26am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jim Jude, you son of a bitch. I'd tell you you're not funny, but dammit, you are!

I fink I'm gonna go cry now :llorar:

Or.... :emo:

Seriously though - you know kids who don't want to be snipers?

Are they gay?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 12:24pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That kind of money could have gotten you a nice Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun, and a good bit of ammo.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just thought I would keep posting and whoring it up.

I own an AR15, an SKS, and a pistol. I am currently on the prowl for a nice pump action .22 and a lever action 30-30. I want those guns for 'fun' shooting. So I guess that ties into this thread.

You want REAL shooting fun? Join the Army and shoot the .50 cal.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 1:40pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone knows that the .50 is for POGs. Real men fire the MK 19, and they fire it from the shoulder.

Infidel

Posted On:
    6/18/2007 2:27pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real men fire the MK 19
    Unless their country doesn't let them....
    Because, a 40mm round may not go off becomming a dud and some kid might pick it up and die...
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast