Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 2:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the best way to go about buying an SKS? Is there a good dealer online? (google has turned up mixed results) Or should I just look around the local gun shops and hope that their prices aren't jacked way up.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    I vote for the Remington .308 - that will teach you how to shoot for real. Unlike the SKS, which will only encourage barely-out-of-puberty jackassery.

Don't ever buy a handgun for less than 500$

I disagree. A gun will not teach you how to shoot properly. Regardless of it's quality. In the same way that sparring gear will not teach you how to fight. They are tools. You need skills in order to use the tools.

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 1:26pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I disagree. A gun will not teach you how to shoot properly. Regardless of it's quality. In the same way that sparring gear will not teach you how to fight. They are tools. You need skills in order to use the tools.
    well, you may need basic skills to use the tools, and you get proficient by continuing to use those tools. i think what SFGoon was trying to say is there's more to learn about rifle shooting from a higher quality rifle.

What's the best way to go about buying an SKS? Is there a good dealer online? (google has turned up mixed results) Or should I just look around the local gun shops and hope that their prices aren't jacked way up.
    you should definitely go to your dealer and look rather than on the internet; you really do need to check quality in person.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 3:29pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me point is, laddies, that to get good at shooting, you need to focus on the fundamentals. It is much easier to do this with a boring bolt action rifle that has a mean kick. Weapons like the SKS really make the adrenaline flow and it's easy to take an "accuracy by volume" approach to shooting when you start out with a semi automatic that's magazine fed (the SKS has detachable mags you can buy.)

With a bolt action, you have to concentrate on every shot. If you miss, it's not a matter of shrugging then pulling the trigger again. You HAVE to reload, re-aim, and take that single shot. Concentration and BRAS (breathing, relaxation, aiming, and squeeze) become your whole world.

Later on, you go to the gun store and buy an M-4. Your shooting is already t3h p0rk, and now you're just adding speed to your finesse. Take a few courses on CQB, get a vet to show you how to clear rooms and some IMT and suddenly you're competent. Holy **** Batman.

OR start with an SKS, rip rounds downrange and drink beers with your buddies. Develop an extensive and expensive collection of firearms you barely understand. Get fat and feel like you're a badass because of something you own. Have old SFGOON think you're a jackass.

Or practice the boring, stupid basics, master them, and be a force to be reckoned with for less money. It's up to you, though I don't really see a choice here. It's like choosing between eating a turd or a rack of ribs.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, I disagree.

I think learning shooting fundamentals is best done with a .22lr than a high caliber rifle. Personally I think learning that kind of thing is best done by an experienced teacher.

I think the approach you are suggesting is akin to handing kids some gloves in order to teach them to box. And in this case, 6oz gloves.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 1:18am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for when you absolutely, positively, want to learn how to shoot worth a damn.

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 2:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is that a marlin 915? without a clip... pretty sure; anyway, that's what i learned on back in my younger days in the boy scouts.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 2:26am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, learning to overcome that recoil anxiety should be one of the first things a n00b learns. After that (and it could be just a box or two) the .22 is an excellent teaching tool.

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    In my experience, learning to overcome that recoil anxiety should be one of the first things a n00b learns. After that (and it could be just a box or two) the .22 is an excellent teaching tool.
    well, from my experience, the recoil anciety in beginners usually applies to shotguns, not as much for rifles.

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 4:53am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a .30-06. You will feel recoil anxiety. In fact, it may teach you recoil anxiety.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast