Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: What to buy?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What to buy?

so 2 of my friends and i decided to pool together 250ish to buy something we can all enjoy that isn't alcohol or hookers, surprise, surprise. so we're thinking about buying new sparring equipment- pairs of padded fingerless gloves, helmets, shinguards, or buying a rifle, like a sks or a cheap remington .306 we found for $224. so, what do you guys think? wait another year until we're 21 and buy a proper handgun and get the sparring stuff now, or just get a rifle now and just keep renting handguns at the range?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote for the Remington .308 - that will teach you how to shoot for real. Unlike the SKS, which will only encourage barely-out-of-puberty jackassery.

Don't ever buy a handgun for less than 500$

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Unless it's a .22 for plinking, or a Glock, or an XD, or a CZ, etc...or you know the guy selling it....or quite a few other factors that should be taken into account at the time of purchase.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of decent to great handguns that retail for under $500.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the reason i was leaning toward the .306 is because the guy selling it is including a decent scope with it. only problem is, the range won't let us bring it. so, issue being, since i live in LA, we would need to drive quite a bit every time we want to use it.

as for handguns that retail under 500, any good examples?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    as for handguns that retail under 500, any good examples?
    He probably wasn't talking about semi-autos, but if he was, I'd also like to implore him to elaborate. Granted I've seen Glocks, XDs and M&Ps recently for $489 or so, I'd still pin that up into the $500 category.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy_bear
    He probably wasn't talking about semi-autos, but if he was, I'd also like to implore him to elaborate. Granted I've seen Glocks, XDs and M&Ps recently for $489 or so, I'd still pin that up into the $500 category.
    When I was young and slow in the noggin I bought a few magnificent pieces of ****, the epitome of which was an FN Hi-Power DAO that jammed every third round or so. Paying for quality is massively worthwhile. My Glock cost me around 450$, with tax and other associated fees in Washington State it came to a hair over 500$. Other pistols I bought were between 250$ to 350$ and just didn't work out.

And yes, .22s and handguns you buy from personal friends are exempt.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paying for quality is massively worthwhile.
    Of course, but the exact same firearm can retail for different prices in different areas.....and I didn't count in taxes, which surely changes things.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. And I live in one of the most expensive places in the US about a block away from a jackass who had Beretta refuse to do business with him because his markup was so high.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we decided on the sparring equipment.

i think we're going to save up for a USP .40 or SIG 226 and get one in maybe 2 years. if we can't find a used one in good condition, maybe a remington 700.

but anyway, continue on with the thread.

Fair enough. And I live in one of the most expensive places in the US about a block away from a jackass who had Beretta refuse to do business with him because his markup was so high.
    if it's expensive in WA, it won't be any cheaper in CA :P

so, mr. sfgoon, sir, is there any brands in general i should avoid in general, and what's generally a good value, whether it is firearms or accessories? i may be decent at shooting, but a utter nub at everything else shooting related.... aside from the major brands, i can't tell accessory quality if it bit me in the freaking ass.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last