Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering what you think of doing weight training. We do it at our gym every other day. Do you think that is too much or should we do it at all?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do weight training as a group?
    You say what about my rice?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends or what your focus is. I usually don't like a lot of stuff that builds physical skills )stength, speed, flexibility) mixed with my martial arts class. I can work on all that stuff at home. When I go to the dojo, I'm interesred in learning and working on fighting techniques and strategy. That's what my instructor has that I can't get anywhere else.

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 6:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wrong forum

Punisher is correct, unless you come to just work out by yourself

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication
    Style is irrelevant. Train yourself to be a complete fighter.

Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162

Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 7:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you have to achieve a healthy balance with regards to how much weight training vs technique etc. I would never prefer weights over a session at the dojo.
    However it's important to train with the weights in a way that it helps your special needs. There is no point asking the strong guy in the gym how to train - if you train like a body-builder you will look like one and that's it.
    You will need explosive, powerful exercises. Your technique has to be good, so you don't injure yourself. I started to do the olympic lifts ( clean&press + snatch )
    You gain very explosive power and good core strength. You don't get slower when you do that sort of training.
    Think about it the other way : If you train your muscles to bench press 150 kg and you need 5 secs to lift it up. Than this will be what your muscles are able to do.
    I you now think of your sparring - there is now situation like that. you want powerful, fast, explosive movements.
    And try to stretch as much as possible...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ampol I don't know how body-building got into this.

The idea would be to train as a powerlifter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2003 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, another useless question from our friend Jun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2003 3:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of guys use the big guys in the gym as their source of weight training tuition. So that's how the bodybuilder came to mind. As well as the average gym instructor who hasn't got much of a clue about the requirements of a martial artist. ( but has been on a weekend course for a fitness instructor...)
    To train as a powerlifter would not be a bad idea, if you would like to periodise your training. Closer to competition I would suggest more powerful, explosive exercises.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/30/2003 3:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Punisher. Physical training can be done on your own time. As far as getting back to the question at hand.... there are three standard benchmarks for physical fitness. Strength, Flexibility, and Endurance. What I do is train these three on my own time, then go to class to learn actual fighting and skills. Weight training is a surefire way to improve your strength, so it's a good thing to do. Just make sure to keep your flexibility up (strength+flexibility usually equals speed). The idea of large muscles slowing you down only holds true if you're not flexible, then you become muscle-bound. But there's no reason you can't be strong and flexible.

--------------------
    If he scoots out too aggressively his body may go shooting out like a champaign cork and go flying into the audience, leaving a gingerbread man-shaped hole in the wall. -- Boyd
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2003 4:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It only needs one look at the 100 m sprinters to know, that guys with big muscles can be fast.
    There are definitions for the word ' power ' and ' strenght' which are quite helpful.
    To be powerful is to overcome the highest weight in the shortest time and that is different from being strong. Here you can overcome the highest weight in any given time.
    Somebody can be strong and benchpress 150 kg. If you ask the same person to benchpress their max weight fast - that's a different task.
    That is why olympic weight lifters are in their sub-maximal weights on a similar level with athletes who mainly train strength. On a maximal power level the olympic weight-lifter does better.
    That's why I would suggest such training for a martial artist.
    If you want to lift your opponent,( and many throws are lifts in the inital phase of the movement) then you want to do that as fast as you can = as powerful as you can.
    But you should periodise you weight training into the cycles mass/strenght/ power.
    You want to put on mass and strength in your off competition period and put concentrate more on power the closer you get to the comp.
    And stretch all the time...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast