Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 10:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a good question that I could probably answer but its not really my goal in this thread. Although I introduced this with my conversation with Kid and Anna that was just a starting point. Hell we can start threads with "good" questions all day long just to build a reference.

In this thread I want to see if we can create a list of universal truths that apply to all effective striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 11:16am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been thinking about this, but it's such a broad topic that I'm having trouble getting a handle on it. For the most part strikes need to have enough leverage behind them to do real damage. That's not always true though, because although a stiff jab can be nasty it doesn't necessarily have to be in order to set up a good combo. Apart from that strikes shouldn't be telegraphed and shouldn't leave you vulnerable and off balance. I don't think there's much that's just universally true, just a lot of things that make a lot of good sense. As an example generally it's a good idea to pace yourself so that you don't just punch yourself out, but at the same time you have to be able to recognize it if you can overwhelm your opponent with a flurry of shots. Another good idea that isn't always true is that it's better to throw combinations than single shots. Of course it's better to land several shots than one, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for using a jab to control the distance.
    Last edited by From Bell2Bell; 6/01/2007 9:23am at .

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 7:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking fundamentals as I see them:
    1. Do not overbalance yourself when throwing a technique, you should not be "chasing" your fist with your body.
    2. Do not throw one technique, then stop, then throw another single, then stop. AKA Punches in Bunches.
    3. Keep the fight in YOUR range.
    4. Don't move directly forward or backwards in most cases. Sometimes it's ok, but in general you want to be circling and moving in and out on angles.
    5. Protect your head. If your hands aren't punching they should be protecting your head. This doesn't always mean glue them to the side of your head, or shell up. But getting caught with your hands down is a quick trip to sleepytime.
    6. Fight YOUR fight. If your opponent wants to stay on the outside and jab you to death then get inside and swing like crazy, if your opponent is trying to clinch keep circling away and hold him to the outside.

That's all I got for now. The concepts are of course kind of vague, but I think specific examples can be generated pretty easily for all of them.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234