Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, unfortunately, we don't often get people in the Strikestan forum asking questions like, "I often get into situation X, I have tried thing Y and thing Z and those things aren't working. What should I be doing?" The general quality of questions asked here seems to be on the craptacular side. Possibly because there is no iron fist of moderation being swung about. We have more of a padded glove of moderation...

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 10:12pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's possibly because the majority of people on this forums just think of stirkes as a way to time/get into the takedown-- so the questions should be like--
    "i get into boxing matches, and i have tried the double and single leg takedowns, but the coach yells at me every time. what should i be doing?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:11pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    Yah, but... there's gotta be a BEST way, right? I mean, lots of things have the right way to do things.

Basketball, for example. You see every player shoot 3-pointers with the same mechanics. In track & field, sprinters run the same way, hurdlers jump the same way, and long jumpers leap with the same motion.

Wouldn't effective striking have a best way to do things?
    Not necessarily. Roy Jones Jr. and Muhammad Ali dominated their respective eras in boxing, but you probably wouldn't recommend someone fight like they do. Their natural athleticism meant that they could fight differently. I think that it is entirely possible that because of their superior reflexes and physical capabilities, it was more effective for them to fight the way they did than to box in a more "traditional" manner.

My point being that the BEST way is going to be different for each person depending on what they can do, which puts us back at square one.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my general framework:
    Main principles of striking: 1. relaxation/tension, 2. body unity, 3. balance, 4. moving behind a guard, 5. economy of motion, 6. intelligent targeting

1. When striking, tension should be used intelligently. Looseness should be developed for efficient striking and to avoid getting gassed easily. Tension should not be shunned, but excess tension should be avoided.

2. As much body mass as possible should be incorporated into each strike as possible, without compromising the other principles mentioned.

3. The body should remain in a balanced position before, during and after a strike is delivered.

4. When not being used offensively, the limbs should be kept in a position where they can attack and/or defend the body and head.

5. Economy of motion: all strikes and defenses should be delivered as efficiently as possible, without telegraphing.

6. Strikes should be thrown to targets that are not well guarded, will damage opponent, and will cause a minimum of damage to the striking tool (for example, avoiding fingertip strikes to the skull).

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your opponent doesn't give you openings, create them.

Punches in bunches.

Don't allow your opponent to gain momentum.

Stay balanced at all times.
    Last edited by feedback; 5/29/2007 11:29pm at .
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    If your opponent doesn't give you openings, create them.

Punches in bunches.

Don't allow your opponent to gain momentum.

Stay balanced at all times.
    That's where pictures would come handy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 10:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pictures are not the point.

This Universal striking theory will not be a martial art. It will be a measuring stick of martial technique. Your technique should match the theories.

Think of it like framework for a well written literary critique. What you are critiquing is irrelevant.

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JUN FAN,KALI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last 2 posts were right on the money.Good body mechanics and use of your feet for movement and power generation should be taught first.Alot of people just use their arms and not their whole body.I know personally about 4 years ago I picked up and left 1 school and went to 1 that had more detailed instruction.After just 4 months and some humbling :) I noticed a huge difference in all my strikes.Good body mechanics is very important.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Pictures are not the point.

This Universal striking theory will not be a martial art. It will be a measuring stick of martial technique. Your technique should match the theories.

Think of it like framework for a well written literary critique. What you are critiquing is irrelevant.
    I'm not critiquing, nor I'm expecting feedback to provide a visual illustration of what he said right now.

I'm pointing out that in order to propose or formulate a theory or framework, you have to have a way to describe it. Pictures, diagrams, visual aids are what helps document and explain the points and theorems of any theory or framework, specially if it involves body mechanics.

Some things can be explained verbally, and some cannot. You may not need to use visual aids at the initial stages where you are formulating a list of things that make up the theory.

However, you will run into that issue at some point or another when you try to elaborate and expand them so that they cannot be open to both accidental or purposeful misinterpretation.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 1:34pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one problem I see, is that this may give some people an idea that they can learn over the net, versus going to a good MT or Boxing Gym, and having an experienced coach work the pads with you. Someone that has coached guys that have won golden gloves, amateur MT fights, at the bare minimum. Really, he should have some guys that have went pro. Just reading the points, and having your friend hold the pads or hitting the bag, is, well, better than nothing, but not much. You could build up some bad habits, and grind them in that way.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast