1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Universal striking theory.

This weekend at the TD I was talking to Anna and Kid about how useless it feels to have a striking forum when everything boils down to "Ask your coach." We mentioned the dificulty of explaining striking over the internet because the vast majority of it is timing and distancing. With that in mind does anyone else think it'd be possible to create a universal theory of striking?

I'd like to focus on really general concepts.

Good: When striking you should always start and return to a balanced position.

Bad: You should always punch with your fist horizontal.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's possible. You could say something like use footwork to create angles. But individual styles are going to have their own style of footwork.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't all the major boxing punches (jab/hook/cross/uppercut) pretty much universal?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's possible, but it would also help to have pictures or clips demonstrating certain concepts. How to work angles, for example, that's impossible to explain without having some pictures demonstrating it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:29pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I think it's possible. You could say something like use footwork to create angles. But individual styles are going to have their own style of footwork.
    Yah, but... there's gotta be a BEST way, right? I mean, lots of things have the right way to do things.

Basketball, for example. You see every player shoot 3-pointers with the same mechanics. In track & field, sprinters run the same way, hurdlers jump the same way, and long jumpers leap with the same motion.

Wouldn't effective striking have a best way to do things?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    Yah, but... there's gotta be a BEST way, right? I mean, lots of things have the right way to do things.
    I'm going to say I don't think so. From my experience with boxing and kickboxing the footwork seems to be a little different. From what I understand the footwork in MT is angular while the footwork in boxing is circular.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:59pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    Wouldn't effective striking have a best way to do things?
    but of course, certain ways to strike favor speed, other ways, power, or even a good balance of the two. and sometimes a certain way to strike that is great offensively has a HUGE gap in defense. so it's a matter of what you're considering "best ways," what your overall style is, you're ability to time things.... so..... ask your trainer.

:new_Llol:

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 5:32pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are still some fundamental truths to all striking. Staying balanced is one of those. So is controlling the range, and Protecting your head. There are just so many ways to do those things based on different rule sets, body types, and training philosophies. I would think we need a list of questions that people have to answer to get advice that is specific enough to do them any good. At the very least what rules are they training for. "How Do Lunge Punch" kind of stuff isn't going to fly obviously. We would need more information before anyone could really help.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 5/29/2007 5:35pm at .

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 6:05pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got to think Boxing has the most universal striking "best principles", and that everything kind of varies from the principles there in. As grating as it may be, boxing is pure stirking- at least with the hands, and there is a ton of history behind it- i.e. verifible proof that you can KTFO a guy. I would say the same about MT. After watching some of the other "sparring" or "matches", such as the old geezers in the Kung Fu versus Kung Fu clip, and various other tapes, it makes me really wonder about how much we can learn from TMA's. I vote boxing for the hands, MT for the kicks, and possibly some Sanda kicks. And I love watching TKD kicks, in, well, the movies.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:13pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at the same time, there are things that you can't use in boxing for fighting anywhere else, mostly on the defensive/countering aspect of boxing just out of the size of the gloves. you may think it's insignificant, but try blocking like a boxer in those open finger gloves/no gloves at all. it's roughly a 150-200% area of cover difference. but yes, the offensive aspect of the punches are fairly solid, but depending on what kind of basic style you use.
    no, i'm not knocking boxing, and reading over the rest of the forums, i may be one of the few people here who enjoy watching a good boxing match over a mediocre mma match.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast