Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ure in Suffolk... duznt thT meen ure parentz iz also ure brother n sister?
    Tell thm u'll report them 2 social servicez unless they play ball.
    I mean ply bll.

Seriously, I'd focus on the fact you'll be doing more conditioning work and technique work than actual sparring. They won't know that isn't exactly true.
    Unless they're reading this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 11:16am

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might try asking them to check the place out and talk with the coaches about any concerns they have. "Mom, Dad, at least check the place out with your own eyes," seems like a valid request. If the place teaches teenagers they've probably dealth with concerned parents before and know the right things to say.

With your luck, of course, they'll show up the exact moment some poor fucker gets his jaw broken, but at least you tried.

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 3:13pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Ure in Suffolk... duznt thT meen ure parentz iz also ure brother n sister?
    Tell thm u'll report them 2 social servicez unless they play ball.
    I mean ply bll.

Seriously, I'd focus on the fact you'll be doing more conditioning work and technique work than actual sparring. They won't know that isn't exactly true.
    Unless they're reading this.
    My webbed toes hate you. Wait what? I tried explaining that it will just be footwork and I would never ever be punched but no negotiation is available.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 3:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe me, unless you're pursuing a career in pro boxing, or are national level, you're not going to suffer any facial or mental damage, unless you are sticking your chin out with your hands scratching your ass.

Of course, as with most parents, they love you very much and do not want you to get hurt. That's the hardest part to convince. You could always purposely get KTFOed in TKD and then see where that takes you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 3:40pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a job to pay for it yourself and then bus to the gym or something. Thats what I did when I was 16 and wanted to box.

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    Believe me, unless you're pursuing a career in pro boxing, or are national level, you're not going to suffer any facial or mental damage, unless you are sticking your chin out with your hands scratching your ass.

Of course, as with most parents, they love you very much and do not want you to get hurt. That's the hardest part to convince. You could always purposely get KTFOed in TKD and then see where that takes you.
    Any reason why I should get knocked out in TKD? Telling them to check out a class may work. Or maybe I could do kickboxing, they see this as less dangerous.

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Get a job to pay for it yourself and then bus to the gym or something. Thats what I did when I was 16 and wanted to box.
    That will just lead to arguments and threats. I'd really rather have their permission.

yes....

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 5:05pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abusivemelon
    Right so I found a prospective boxing gym. http://www.millenniumcentre.co.uk/
    Not a clue how good it is but they offer a free session so I can find out. However im 16 and therefore dependant on parents for a lift and fees. I know many of you are parents so please help me out here. How do you convince parents who see the pro boxers with faces like battered potatoes that boxing is not going to give me brain damage and destroy what beauty I possess?
    when i wanted to do something and my parents didn't support it... i got a job and paid for it myself. rides and everything--i'm sure you have a buddy that you can reimburse w/ gas money if he gives you a lift. this takes care of several angles that your parents should be concerned about:

1. you're learning responsibility.
    2. you're learning to defend yourself in a practical fashion.
    3. you're learning to be smarter about your money and not having to depend on them so much.
    4. boxing is the exact opposite of gay and... well i could list several other things, but you see my point.

the only argument your folks could possibly make is your grades slipping... so don't **** around in school.

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 5:14pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ what she said. You'll be showing them responsibility if you work for it. You'll also be showing them how much training at the boxing place means to you.

edit: or compromise with kickboxing if you and your parents are happier you training there, and you don't mind going instead.
    Last edited by MSphinx; 5/28/2007 5:17pm at .

yes....

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 5:23pm

Style: drunken bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSphinx
    edit: or compromise with kickboxing if you and your parents are happier you training there, and you don't mind going instead.
    he shouldn't compromise. he's a dumb teenager and will be doing stuff to test his boundaries w/ his folks. if they pay one yankee dime for his classes... and he fucks around and does something stupid, they'll take it away from him as a form of punishment.

at least when he's paying for it... they can't do that.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast