Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My introductory thread.

Hi all. I'm from Australia's Gold Coast.
    There are two things that drew me to this site:

1) I am a martial arts enthusiast - by which I mean that I am enthusiastic about training in martial arts. I am under no illusion that I am by any stretch a superhuman fighting machine, but I am reasonably confident I can apply what I know, and I can see what works for me.

2) I am a skeptic. Literally. I have an interest in philosophy - particularly in critical reasoning, and am fairly good at applying the tools of the skeptic (i.e. Occam's razor, Sagan's balance, and the burden of proof) to any given proposition.

Anyhow, I suppose this would be a good time to outline my credentials...

Off and on I tried boxing and Shotokan karate up until around 1998. Although I enjoyed them both, I didn't feel that they were really appropriate for me. Around the start of 2000, when I enrolled in University, I happened to notice a small gym across the road from my campus. It was called Shin Do at the time, which I believe translates to "New Way" from Japanese.

The school was run by a guy called Kerry Dunne. Here is a link to a brief article about Kez that was posted on knucklepit.com - a mma website.

http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-mart...erry_dunne.htm

Shin Do was an MMA gym, focussing on boxing, kickboxing, and submission wrestling (no-gi stuff). Kerry was very big on practical martial arts, and many of the guys competed regularly in MMA and kickboxing events, as the philosphy at Shin Do was that techniques must be effective under real situations - i.e. if you panic and forget how to apply a technique, it doesn't matter how well you can demonstrate it against a compliant opponent - it's not going to be of ay use in a real confrontation. I graded to Blue Belt under Kerry. Techniques aren't fancy, and they are all covered in the White, Yellow, Orange, and Green belt syllabus. Blue, Brown, and Black require progressively more intense fitness, strength, experience, and heart.

At the time, MMA was still in it's infancy in Australia, with few good events other than Rings taking place. So Kerry, along with Ray Matsumura founded the Spartan Reality Fight Series.

This is a promotional poster (and I believe the DVD cover) from Spartan Reality Fight Night 12. Those of you who are familiar with the MMA scene in Australia would surely recognise Sam Nest - a dominant fighter in these events, who was trained by Chris Haseman - an awesome fighter and trainer who has competed internationally. I believe he even fought Fedor. He lost, obviously, but then again, everyone does against Fedor. :icon_boun

Sam Nest's record on Sherdog Fightfinder:http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=1645

Chris Haseman's record on Sherdog Fightfinder: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=1449

Kerry eventually moved to Japan, and his good friend and respected martial artist Vincent Perry Took over. Vince is affiliated with Machado BJJ through John Will.

He renamed the school PUMMA (performance Unlimited Mixed Martial Arts)
    This is a link to PUMMA's homepage http://www.pumma.net/index.php
    Shortly before Shin Do became PUMMA I took a break from training due to study/work/ commitments, and a rib injury.

I have since resumed training, but I now practice Judo at my local Police Citizen's Youth Club's - under Wayne Matheson, who is an Australian Judo Federation Representative . On Saturday Mornings Hector Lombard usually rocks up to roll with the braver guys, and he is simply amazing to watch. Scary.

Anyway, that's about it for my long winded rant. If you've bothered reading this far, thanks for your patience. I'm glad to be here, and I'm very approachable - if anyone wants to contact me, feel free to message me or post something. As I said earlier, I'm no professional, but I feel I am relatively competent, and I'm always eager to learn - as long as it's practical. I must admit, my Randori absolutely sucks - but my Newaza is ok and my striking isn't too bad.

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! Deadmeat posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like out type of fellow.

Got all the key points in and backed creds where possible.

whats even better is u are not a ninjer

i hate ninjers

Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best intro post I've seen so far.

Welcome.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and learning a thing or two while I'm here.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm going to like it here :D

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like the cut of your jib. and i like your pants.

now hand over your sheep

Style
    MT / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train with Vince at PUMMA when I was traveling regularly to the Gold Coast last year. Great bunch of guys and a really friendly, relaxed atmosphere (although more so at the Burleigh gym). I really like Vince's stand up training too.

Welcome.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. Vince seems to have some really great guys. I actually caught up with big Jim last night (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=9480) - he trains with the guys over at five rings these days with Nathan Corbett and Daniel Lima.

After messing around a bit with him I had a Socratic moment - I now know how little I actually know. I can't believe how good he's gotten. I honestly think he could decapitate me bare handed if he wanted to.

As i was saying in my first post, I never got to know the newer guys at Parkwood after Kezza left, but from what I've seen, they're a force to reckon with. Haven't been to the Burleigh gym either, but I've heard good things.

Thanks for the welcome.

Style
    MT / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met Big Jim a few times while training there, before he went to Five Rings. Good bloke, very shy. I didn't roll with him though, thank god. He either would have crushed me or turned me into a pretzel.

Trained a few times with JJ too. He took one of the classes I was at shortly after he got back from Japan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last