Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 5:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshin Do / Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some Research

I recently began a search to find the origins of my first MA, Goshin Do Karate (the way of self defense). I'm finding its a bit obscure, as its very hard to find anything on the style and its origins. the research i've done so far leads me to believe that Goshin Do is derived primarily from 3 arts: Kobudo, Aikido and JuJitsu. however the sites i've found refer more to a style called Goshin Jitsu than to Goshin Do.

so my question is does anyone have some good sites, books or other leads to aid my research? if you have any questions about Goshin Do id be happy to answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 9:41pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thin to do in this situation is to find references to your teacher. Then try and find out who it was that he had trained with.

It is quite possible, and very likely, that "Goshin Do Karate" was a recently created style and as such has little background information available about it unless someone has provided it as a means of promoting the style.

There does appear to be some discussion of an art going by that name at

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-1175.html

Is this the art you were studying?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 8:55am

Style: Battojutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First hit in google:

History of Goshindo
    http://www.harrisonburgdojo.com/goshindo.html

Says it was started by Shogo Kuniba. Fellow has a colourful martial arts background, and apparantly decided to teach his own thing later in life. He had training in aikido, iaido, judo etc.

If you want more indepth research, then the names mentioned in the pages should help.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 12:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshin Do / Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that is a very good page bloodmagus, but i've never heard it calledKuniba Ryu Goshin Do. it is possible that my style is or is an offshoot of that art though.

Fits your site also provided a lot of help. it mentions many different arts and many possible name changes.

this is why its hard for me to find a history on Goshin Do, because it seems there are many varyations and name changes that have come along.

thanks for the input, let me know if you think of anything more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 2:08am

Style: Battojutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Fitz said before, the best way to find out is to talk to your teacher. He should be able to tell you.