Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    When, with whom, and where did you train/study Judo and for how long. When did you earn your black belt and from which organization?

Ben
    Started training in 1992 with the Daytona Beach Judo Club.
    First instructors were Geoge McDonald and Jim Northcote
    It was a USJA affilated club back in the day I don't beleive it still exists.
    I probably learned more of my best Judo From from Koos and John Fiege from Holland
    who were affilated with the club at one time.
    I competed in several state level tournaments(west palm and gainseville) and was promoted quickly(twice by the USJA rules stating that defeating someone two levels higher than you in competition was grounds for instant promotion)
    Competed in the Sunshine State Games(Florida State championships) in 96 winning the gold medal in the brown belt division. Richie Crunkilton (former UFC and WEC fighter was there with me and also won first place)

When Phil Porter Left the USJA and formed his own organzation I went with him. We did several seminars over the years. He presided over my 1st Dan test and awarded me my Certificate. I have not pursued further rank in judo since my focus is self defense orineted not sport oriented.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not have and never claimed a Black Belt In BJJ.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StanLeeUMA View Post
    Started training in 1992 with the Daytona Beach Judo Club.
    First instructors were Geoge McDonald and Jim Northcote
    It was a USJA affilated club back in the day I don't beleive it still exists.
    I probably learned more of my best Judo From from Koos and John Fiege from Holland
    who were affilated with the club at one time.
    I competed in several state level tournaments(west palm and gainseville) and was promoted quickly(twice by the USJA rules stating that defeating someone two levels higher than you in competition was grounds for instant promotion)
    Competed in the Sunshine State Games(Florida State championships) in 96 winning the gold medal in the brown belt division. Richie Crunkilton (former UFC and WEC fighter was there with me and also won first place)

When Phil Porter Left the USJA and formed his own organzation I went with him. We did several seminars over the years. He presided over my 1st Dan test and awarded me my Certificate. I have not pursued further rank in judo since my focus is self defense orineted not sport oriented.
    Thanks for the info. You realize that the USMAA shodan via Phil isn't recognized by any national organizations, right? This is not to say you do not or did not have shodan level Judo skill. Of course, you probably do not care, and that's your business. The deal is, as far as mainstream Judo goes, you are a brown belt (sankyu, nikyu, or ikkyu not specified).

Also, you state earlier, and on your website, that you won the Florida State Championships. State championships are usually open rank, so your claim implies you had to fight against black belts. But you won the brown belt division. Not knocking that accomplishment, there are/were a lot of good judoka in Florida.

So for truth in advertising, you claim a brown belt via batsugan from USJA, a shodan awarded by Phil's USMAA (not recognized rank except by USMAA), and won the brown belt divison of the Florida State Championships in 1996, not the open rank event.

I appreciate your openess and candor about your Judo history.

Ben Reinhardt
    Sandan (from USA Judo)

PS my rank can be confirmd by emailing Corinne Shigemoto, director of member services, at USA Judo corrinshig@aol.com
    Last edited by BKR; 4/24/2011 11:28am at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    Is your black belt in traditional jujitsu or BJJ?
    I do not have a Black Belt in BJJ.

I started training as stated above with Conan Silviera in the early nineties before the UFC or before most people even heard of BJJ. He would travel up from South Florida to my TKD Instructor's school to hold regular seminars. We would go down to Miami to train with him when possible. We actually hosted one of the first ever MMA fights in FL at a TKD Tournament in 92. Marcello Silviera, Conan's brother fought a challenge match against anyone silly enough to try.

In 1996 a large Tournament was held in Orlando Florida called the World Martial Arts Festival. It had multiple styles competing and included both a sport jujtsu(striking + grappling) and a submission grappling division. I entered the black belt division in both divisions.

I won the submission grappling tournament out of a field of 4 competitors. I was 178lbs, the other competitors were 198, 245 and 275. After my last fight a Brazillian guy came up and asked me who I had trained with becasue he recognized my technique as Brazillian. He invited me to come to his school and train(he was teaching out of a TKD school in Orlando) His name was Dinno Cherem. He originally trained with Carlos Henrique in Brazil, and then opened a school with Marcello Grosso for Team De La Riva in Orlando.
    I started commuting to Orlando to train in the mornings. He later starting teaching classes at my facility on Tuesday and Thursday nights. We remain good friends, He also lived at my house last year for 4 months while he attempted to get something going near the beach where I live. He was attempting to create a Law Enforcement training center.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:29am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is why I stated the clarification. We have been teaching MMA since before the ruleset or popularity of the sport.(School was founded in 1995) I don't intend to mislead anyone that we are foccued on the competition aspects. I don't have any chain link in my school :)
    Nope, by 1995 it was popular. They were already up to UFC 5 at that point and smokers were being held in many states. I'll also point out in 1995 John McCain started his campaign against MMA that received National attention. We are going to disagree on your claim of " before the ruleset or popularity of the sport."

Other than that, thanks for posting and giving out information.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. You realize that the USMAA shodan via Phil isn't recognized by any national organizations, right? This is not to say you do not or did not have shodan level Judo skill. Of course, you probably do not care, and that's your business. The deal is, as far as mainstream Judo goes, you are a brown belt (sankyu, nikyu, or ikkyu not specified).

Also, you state earlier, and on your website, that you won the Florida State Championships. State championships are usually open rank, so your claim implies you had to fight against black belts. But you won the brown belt division. Not knocking that accomplishment, there are/were a lot of good judoka in Florida.

So for truth in advertising, you claim a brown belt via batsugan from USJA, a shodan awarded by Phil's USMAA (not recognized rank except by USMAA), and won the brown belt divison of the Florida State Championships in 1996, not the open rank event.

I appreciate your openess and candor about your Judo history.

Ben Reinhardt
    Sandan (from USA Judo)

PS my rank can be confirmd by emailing Corinne Shigemoto, director of member services, at USA Judo corrinshig@aol.com

As I mentioned, I don't award rank in Judo nor do my students compete in judo. I have no reason to affilate myself with any of the official olympic sanctioning bodies which always involved paying for competition insurance. The focus of my school is self defense
    and my teaching methods focus on that aspect. Most judoka train to win gold medals under judo's very specific ruleset which is a lot of fun but can create bad habits for self defense.

Integrity is important. I have been a member of this community since 2007 although I haven't been very active. You can imagine if you do martial arts all day long at work you might not want to spend the little free time you have left on the forms.

Feel free to scan through my posting history and tell me if you don't agree with everything I have posted.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Nope, by 1995 it was popular. They were already up to UFC 5 at that point and smokers were being held in many states. I'll also point out in 1995 John McCain started his campaign against MMA that received National attention. We are going to disagree on your claim of " before the ruleset or popularity of the sport."

Other than that, thanks for posting and giving out information.

Back in the Day I actually created on online lobbying organiztion called the Pro Mixed Martial Arts Movement in North America. My Partner and I used to vist with state lawmakers and send out press releases in support of the sport when it was taken off cable. When I say "before it was popular" I think you can agree that the UFC was not "popular" in the current sense of the word as compared to now :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PMMAM is not MMA, but it is great you were fighting the good fight.

Yes, the Traditional Mixed Martial Art vs. Modern MMA has been discussed. If you had founded your school before 1995 I'd actually be defending you position. That isn't the point. By 1995 many schools were popping up or changing we teach MMA.

When I say "before it was popular" I think you can agree that the UFC was not "popular" in the current sense of the word as compared to now :)
    Of course I can agree with this statement which, does not negate what you originally typed which was:

We have been teaching MMA since before the ruleset or popularity of the sport.(School was founded in 1995) I don't intend to mislead anyone that we are foccued on the competition aspects. I don't have any chain link in my school :)
    We will disagree on the wording and implication carried in this sentence. I never said you mislead anyone, I am disagreeing with your rule-set and popularity comment.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 12:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I mentioned, I don't award rank in Judo nor do my students compete in judo. I have no reason to affilate myself with any of the official olympic sanctioning bodies which always involved paying for competition insurance. The focus of my school is self defense
    I did not address whether or not you issue rank in Judo because you did not claim to do so. Neither did I address whether or not you or your organizatin belong to any of the three national judo organizations (only one of which, USA Judo, is affiliated with the USOC), because, you honestly made no such claims.

and my teaching methods focus on that aspect. Most judoka train to win gold medals under judo's very specific ruleset which is a lot of fun but can create bad habits for self defense.
    Also good aspects, but what you teach is obviously up to you.

Integrity is important. I have been a member of this community since 2007 although I haven't been very active. You can imagine if you do martial arts all day long at work you might not want to spend the little free time you have left on the forms.
    Yes, integrity and honesty I would add are important. I teach Judo multiple days per week, travel to tourmanents, etc.. As far as forms go, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Kata? Or paperwork? In any case, not a concern how you spend your free time.

Feel free to scan through my posting history and tell me if you don't agree with everything I have posted.
    I did, and I noted my concerns, which you have not addressed. Of course, it's a free country, and you can post whatever you want within the guidelines of this website.

I'll repeat:
    1.) You were awarded shodan by Phil's USMAA. This is not a recognized rank granting body by any of the three national Judo organizations. You claim to have recognized judo rank of brown belt via batsugan from USJA. Could be sankyu, nikyu, or ikkyu.

2.) You claim on your website and other places on the Internet to have won the Florida State Championships in 1996, which implies you won an open rank event (perhaps against black belts...there are a LOT of good judoka in Florida...I know, I've competed and had my butt kicked by a lot of them). In reality, you won a closed rank event, open to brown belts only. A good accomplishment, but you do not list it as such (brown belt divison).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 12:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as forms go, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Kata? Or paperwork? In any case, not a concern how you spend your free time.
    I'm pretty sure it is a typo. I think he meant "forums." It is a comment we see when things are getting testy. In other words "I am too busy to post" or "I have better things to do."
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast