Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 12:29am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Elbow Joint Pain

I've been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about a month now... And around last week I've been having very minor elbow joint pains. It starts at the joint, and extends a bit farther. This pain is usually constant, but sometimes I don't notice it. is there something I should be worried about?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely not. Your elbows have most likely received some minor hyperextention by being armbarred a ton of times. If the pain is so small that you some times don't even notice it, I wouldn't be worried. Elbows are notoriously known for healing quickly and easily. If you become in so much pain that it's actually a hassle for you, I would reccommend seeing a doctor.

I've once torn my shin/ankle ligaments and the pain was enough to prevent me from sleeping, this was sufficient for me to see a doctor and he even told me there was little he could do, it just had to heal itself. Meanwhile I wore some support braces and trained through it. It was a bitch but that's the way it is.

Typical injuries you should NOT scoff at are neck/spine or knee injuries which could be potentially very serious. Elbows however are usually easy to heal and a slight pain is usually not a big deal. At least for me. I've had lots of questions to why my elbows were visibly bruised and blue on the outside and I had to explain that I'm a freak of nature and that armbars do that to me (it's true :( ).

If your pain grows or somehow becomes a nuisance for you, I suggest seeing a doctor. If you're afraid that something is seriously wrong even without the pain rising, I'd still see a doctor. I don't know your body, only you know your body.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 8:33am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the same boat. I take some Motrin and it goes away. Might jump back on the glucosamine wagon now that I'm back training regularly again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 10:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My elbows used to hurt too when I waited till the last second the tap, now i tap once i know basically that they've got it, and i start feeling pressure/feel like i can't escape, and i don't get any elbow pain anymore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a bunch for the info guys :) I guess I was just being paranoid :P Didn't know how serious elbow injuries were compared to knee injuries or the like.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not specific to grappling as other sports can give you the same problems in your elbows. But there are things that you can specifically do to ameliorate your problem. Tap quick, tap fast. With experience you will know when you need to tap ASAP and when you may be able to escape/counter a sub... but for now, tap, tap, tap.

As fanatical suggested, wear braces on your elbows (the same braces used for tennis/golfers' elbow), at least when you train with a gi. Without a gi, it's impossible to train with one of those, so that sucks.

You should not worry about it if you take care of it now. The ligaments in your elbows are taking a pounding and are weakened and probably inflamed (plus you may have muscular 'knots' deep in your forearms.

Treat as if you were suffering from tennis/golfer elbow. Take an anti-inflamatory/painkiller like tylenol or ibuprofen, two every four hour for a couple of days. Rest and ice the area and give yourself deep massage from the elbows down to the wrists using icy-hot and tiger balm.

But do it. Really. Do it. Don't just take a painkiller once and expect the problem to be gone. Be diligent in taking care of your elbows, and you should be fine.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    This is not specific to grappling as other sports can give you the same problems in your elbows. But there are things that you can specifically do to ameliorate your problem. Tap quick, tap fast. With experience you will know when you need to tap ASAP and when you may be able to escape/counter a sub... but for now, tap, tap, tap.

As fanatical suggested, wear braces on your elbows (the same braces used for tennis/golfers' elbow), at least when you train with a gi. Without a gi, it's impossible to train with one of those, so that sucks.

You should not worry about it if you take care of it now. The ligaments in your elbows are taking a pounding and are weakened and probably inflamed (plus you may have muscular 'knots' deep in your forearms.

Treat as if you were suffering from tennis/golfer elbow. Take an anti-inflamatory/painkiller like tylenol or ibuprofen, two every four hour for a couple of days. Rest and ice the area and give yourself deep massage from the elbows down to the wrists using icy-hot and tiger balm.

But do it. Really. Do it. Don't just take a painkiller once and expect the problem to be gone. Be diligent in taking care of your elbows, and you should be fine.
    Thanks for the tips man! Should I take a break from training for a few days? Or would it be allright to continue going as long as I tap, and keep my elbow safe? This pain definitely won't keep me away from training, but I'm still somewhat concerned about the long term effect of training while being injured. Once again, thanks for the tips :)

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 12:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hint: Stop posting HEALTH threads in the BJJ forum, and I'll stop deporting them to the HEALTH forum.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal