Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 12:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing Conditioning?

So I've decided to take up boxing. Unfortunately, I'm home for the summer, and won't have regular access to a gym until early July. Until then, I've decided to get in good boxing shape.

So what I'm looking for are some suggestions of what exercises to do. I'm not looking for anyone to write me a program (although I wouldn't mind!), I just need some advice on how boxers train. I have access to a well-equipped weight room, but regrettably no boxing equipment.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 1:08am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of skipping rope. Sprints up hills. Copious amounts of sit-ups. Push-ups. Jogging. Anything you can do to improve your cardio. You will need it when you get to a boxing gym. The lifting I can't really say because I never did any at the boxing gym.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 2:21am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy stuff by Ross Enamait, a conditioning expert and pro boxer. In fact, he just put out a new book called "Never Gymless", and it's all about doing exercises w/o a gym.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's already been said but I'd like to emphasize how important running and sprint work is.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 8:59am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think its odd that no one has yet emphasised the importance of running and sprint work

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:13am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighting Fit

See if your local library has this book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 11:26am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You crazy English with your running and sprinting, you'll put someone's eye out!

I do a leg conditioning routine once a week at a basketball court that does good for me.

1st- walk the length of the court three times back and forth for a warm up, do 10 push ups after
    2nd- walk the length of the court raising your knees to your hands about waist height, walk back and do 10 push ups
    3rd- walk sideways facing left the length, walk back and do 10 push ups then do the same thing facing the right including the 10 push ups at the end
    4th- walking lunges the length of the court, walk back and do 10 push ups
    5th- squat down, hold your hands behind your head and two legged hop the length of the court, walk back and do 10 push ups
    6th- sprint "suicides" (sprint to mid court (short), jog back, sprint to the far free throw circle (middle), jog back and sprint to the end (long) and jog back. rest for about 30 seconds then sprint middle, long short, rest 30 seconds then sprint long, short and middle.

Second and Third set are exactly the same except you do 10 squats instead of push ups on the second set and 10 burpees on the third.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 8:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! Guess what? I asked around and found a boxing gym near me! I don't know much about boxing gyms, but the people there were friendly, and the place smelled like sweat and blood, so I think I'm in good hands. In the meantime, I've started doing hillsprints, pushups, back extensions, pullups, and a 2.5 mile run for conditioning (not all at once!).