Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:13am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knuckle swelling: advice on quickening the healing?

I realize this is probably brought up frequently/there's another topic on here about it. I did search a bit, but didn't quite find what I wanted. If anyone knows of another topic though, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.

I messed my left hand up a bit about a day and a half ago (decided to go at it without hand-wraps). It's still sort of swelled up, and I believe I damaged some of the bones of the middle's knuckle. I ran some cold water over it (didn't ice it) which I know isn't really enough, but I've had uglier swells before.

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious if there are any tips for getting it in punching-condition quicker, other than not punching with it.

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 1:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's a day or so old Ice won't do much as it stops/slows swelling down, so hot water would be reccomended to break down the swelling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? I wasn't sure when to use the hot, but that makes sense. Thanks a bunch.

Would wrapping it help at all? I know not too tight, but would some pressure help it, or does that just make it worse?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 9:28pm

Style: Karate, chang quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    massage the area, put your hands in hot water, do jogging to speed up bloodflow. I find cardio helps makes the healing faster.
    also after you heal grab your finger joints one at a time and rotate them. it's good to stretch your fingers too. This is my 2 cents
    Last edited by thecheeseman; 6/04/2007 5:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to be doing more cardio anyway, really. Thanks.

A friend of mine, a couple of nights ago, massaged my middle finger's knuckle (probably for under a minute.) She might have moved the bones and tendon back into a better position. After she did this (or at least the next morning,) it didn't feel like I was stretching the tendon farther than usual. Most, if not all, of the pain is gone, as well, when I move it.

Thanks again guys.