Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 10:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use cross-collar chokes often, mostly from guard, but I'm starting to use it from mount using a setup one of my former instructor's instructors taught him. I nail them quite often, too, as I usually have a hand with a deep grip in my opponent's collar in guard or butterfly half-guard.

As a defense other than 'answering the phone', I'd recommend one that a training partner showed me a while ago: Hug the forearms/elbows together.

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them all the time from closed guard, butterfly guard, knee-ride and mount. It's my most successful submission.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 12:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Constantly, I use them constantly from most positions (Guard, Side control, Knee ride, Mount, North/South, Back mount, attacking turtle).

My best counter to a cross collar attempt in guard is very basic, i.e., tuck the chin tight, ducking the head under one arm, controlling one elbow and regaining posture.

Answering the phone is good but tends to tie up a hand in the process; although, at times, it is the only defense where the attack comes from other positions and you have to save the neck and wait it out.

Stopping your opponent from the second lapel grip is ideal BUT one of the browns I roll with has a bunch of other grip and angle combinations for the second hand which choke me out just as quick, i.e., back of the lapel, the sleeve, the belt, the lower back, even the leg. Not a strict "X (Cross Collar) Choke" but cool collar chokes none the less.

Don't ask me how he does it or how he set's it up, all I know is he does...and it sucks.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:33pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them all of the time. I get them fairly often, but they frequently lead into a sweep, arm bar or other submission. I will use them defensively as well to slow down an aggressive attacker in my guard.

As far as defense, push the back of his arm that he has inserted to make a little space, insert my other hand right behind it, press to the side of my face so that he's not getting tension across my throat with the gi, and my forearm takes the pressure. Posture up (if in his guard) and he'll release. If he's got me mounted, same defense, and bridge and roll. If he clings to the choke, you'll roll him and end up in his guard. From there you can posture up, just watching out for immediate arm bar attempts or sweeps.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 6:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I use them all the time from closed guard, butterfly guard, knee-ride and mount. It's my most successful submission.
    It's up there for me as well. When playing with the gi on, almost every single submission and sweep combination I have involves attacking the neck with a cross collar choke attempt of some variety. Same for mount, back mount, s-mount, and knee on belly. I get actual cross collar chokes fairly often, and if not, they set up other submissions quite well. I took the advice of much more advanced grapplers than I a long time ago about butterfly guard and almost always start out attacking from there with a cross collar choke.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them all the time since they are one of the few things I can actually pull off.

Pingo

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 6:20am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    I use the Cross Collar Choke as a setup mainly. If I'm in someone's closed guard I attempt the cross choke, once I have them distracted with an attempt I then move onto a quick guard pass. I find this choke hard to land, basically because it's an easy one most people know about. Mind you, there are times when I attempt this from guard and just get arm-barred. Then again I mainly roll against blue belts.......
    Have you actually used this against blue belts? Successfully?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46603
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49022

From my experience and what I've been told, going for a cross-collar choke from guard is basically crappling. I haven't seen it do anything against any grappler with a blue-belt level of knowledge or higher except get the attacker submitted or swept. The guy on bottom has too much control over your body for you to finish the submission, and with both your hands tied up it's hard to prevent him from breaking your posture.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 5/31/2007 6:36am at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    From my experience and what I've been told, going for a cross-collar choke from guard is basically crappling. I haven't seen it do anything against any grappler with a blue-belt level of knowledge or higher except get the attacker submitted or swept. The guy on bottom has too much control over your body for you to finish the submission, and with both your hands tied up it's hard to prevent him from breaking your posture.
    That sort of thing is often used as a feint to get someone to open their guard. I don't like it but I know people that do that sort of thing. Hell, Yrkoon even had some lengthy posts about using ezekiels for the same thing.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:42pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. With both hands committed, and your weight forward, you are unable to post or maintain your balance. You can more easily be swept. Worse yet, by stretching forward for the choke, you may hand him an arm bar. I'd be very careful when faking a cross collar while in someone's guard.

Posted On:
    5/31/2007 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    I use the Cross Collar Choke as a setup mainly. If I'm in someone's closed guard I attempt the cross choke, once I have them distracted with an attempt I then move onto a quick guard pass. I find this choke hard to land, basically because it's an easy one most people know about. Mind you, there are times when I attempt this from guard and just get arm-barred. Then again I mainly roll against blue belts.......
    This is a great way to get choked back and lose. I collar choked a guy from inside his guard once for big laffs but he was a no-stripe white belt. If I want someone to open their guard by baiting the armbar I use a thrusting choke or a good ol' rapechoke.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast