Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2007 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

X/cross collar chokes

So whilst lurking on another forum I came across a thread on cross collar chokes. It got me thinking , how many people use these things still. Which brought me to the next question, how many people know good counters to these? I will post my answers later on in the thread, I want to see what it is y'all do.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/25/2007 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them. Basics are best.

The trick is how you set them up and use them in combination with other techniques in order to be effective.

Posted On:
    5/25/2007 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use them from everywhere. If you're looking for good setups, the mount disc off Saulo Ribriero's series is excellent. My collar chokes were OK before but after I watched that I started hanging people every day.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 5:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the guys I train with know the counter, so the only way I can ever get this choke is to trap one arm during the set up. Needless to say, I dont use this choke very often. There have been a few talk about the use of them anyone know any good counters?
    Last edited by Zapruder; 5/26/2007 5:48pm at .

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Answer the phone" works, but mainly you just want to stop the second hand from gripping anything, and I do mean anything since you can collar choke someone with one hand grabbing the gi material over their trapezius.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 9:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only used it easily on a complete noob (he didn't even know what I was setting up to do). Otherwise, I try to use it in conjunction with or a set up for other bread-and-butter submissions (basic arm-bar variations, triangles, etc...).

Dave

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 9:19pm

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use them from both the mount and from my back...as Yrkoon9 said basics are the best

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These chokes are bread and butter. Great place to start attacking and if you can't pull it off, you still have a good grip to start sweeps or other techniques. They are also very practical in real life, cause they can be done to people wearing jackets or heavy sweaters (Every Canadian should know these chokes).

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cross chokes are my go-to moves from guard. I try for cross chokes usually before anything else. If people aren't paying attention, I get it. If not they set up for armbars and in some cases triangles. The grip on the collar can be easily used to keep them down and prevent them from posturing as well as the preparing grip for a sweep or the like.

I don't usually use them a lot from mount, most likely because I haven't had enough success with them due to me ending up on the bottom being the smaller guy at most places. But cross chokes

Most people know the counters after a very short while. But that's seldom all you need. You also have to be good at reading when the choke is coming, you have to avoid having your arms trapped or your defense will be shut down. You have to react and you have to do it well even when other potential threats are looming. Which of course is why cross chokes are basics. The skill required to attack and defend them is paramount and it's the types of techniques which people say (I can't say cause I haven't been in this for long) will last you your entire career. There might be something to that.
    More human than human is our motto.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 1:06pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's one of those things that I don't think I've ever tapped someone with, but I use all the time. Threatening your opponent with it is a good way to make him nervous and forget where his arms are, which lets me work my real submissions (armbars, triangles, etc.).
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast