Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:56am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Much of this resembles CMA applications I've learnt, even down to the postures (stances). We never counted the movements out in Italian, though...

Can you give me some links on this branch of FMA? I'm pretty ignorant of the names and varieties of FMA, so it'd likely take me quite awhile to get on the right track via Google.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 2:51am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from the logo
    it looks like pekiti tirsia or some derivative of it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:25pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of that looks familiar but it's WAY more slappy than the stuff I've learned. Generally the slaps we learned were only to deflect or line up the trap, then after that it was hooks, overhands, straights, etc..

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnjunkie
    That being said, some forms of arnis have wing chun elements because of who was involved. Prime examples are:

Latosa Escrima and...
    Inosanto Kali

Both of these styles use what they feel works from wing chun; I have no idea what that might be, but I know that they do have integrated components just from my own research.

While I am not sure what the object in wing chun is regarding trapping, I personally use Trapping from my various versions of Arnis to do a few separate tasks:

1) Attempt to disarm the person involved without killing/maiming them.
    2) isolate a limb to provide a tactical advantage. Example would be to hold their arm as codos suggested so as to create a window of attack.
    3) To setup a takedown/throw. This goes double for me since I like to throw people.
    4) To setup a submission/break of some sort.
    5) To keep from getting stabbed/struck.

nice post.

Since I do Latosa Escrima under Rene Latosa and Sifu Emin, plus have some tiny few days with Bill Newman and Steve Tappen, I can help elaborate on this.

Rene Latosa really doesn't have a beginer program. He doesn't have time to teach you all that. He improves on what you bring to him. 90% of his students come from WT backgrounds. He does have a slightly modified LWS for us, to work with WT basics, but he really does teach the same thing to everyone. I have been to a seminar with Karate people learning this FMA right along with us Tzunners.

In EBMAS we have further refined the starting LWS stuff to be directly opposite the WT. Front stance, hooks and hammer fists and outfalling step offline to start, with single stick. There is a huge overlap in the double sticks and Doubleto Escrima programs so that is done second. The advanced cycle of kwan/gaun sau and poi pai in WT directly overlap with the advanced empty hand escrima know as Chain of Palms (Palm strikeing). Not to mention the obvious long pole to short double Dagger range the WT uses to practice the range of weapon techniques and how it relates to learning a FMA with its infinite range of weapons families..

Sifu Emin is always adimant that we keep the two systems seperate in training, it is not a MMA. You have to let them merge together naturally instead of patching together a calico quilt.
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 7/28/2007 3:44pm at .

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    Much of this resembles CMA applications I've learnt, even down to the postures (stances). We never counted the movements out in Italian, though...

Can you give me some links on this branch of FMA? I'm pretty ignorant of the names and varieties of FMA, so it'd likely take me quite awhile to get on the right track via Google.

Thanks in advance.
    That one's panantukan and others. Panantukan is a good source to look up FMA unarmed fighting. People (Like the Dog Brothers) believe that panantukan actually changed boxing from its upright palms up extended guard to the head moving hands in close palms inward guard. Early Filipino fighters during the US occupation brought interesting stuff to boxing (like Ceferino Garcia). Others say its the addition of gloves and a different ruleset. I think its a little of both and probably a bunch of other things.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456