Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 2:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Not really. The centerline is just a reference. Your "centerline" doesn't have to be in line with your opponent's centerline. In fact, you have an advantage by creating a mismatch.

Think of "centerline" as two verbs: "center" & "line".
    This is what people misunderstand when I say I like centerline theory.

I think poor chun teachers mix this up.

poser

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:08pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

Having never practiced the chun, I'm actually confused about it myself. Could anyone explain it in the terms of a layman or, better yet, of an idiot?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Having never practiced the chun, I'm actually confused about it myself. Could anyone explain it in the terms of a layman or, better yet, of an idiot?

Face your opponent. Duh!
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Center line of the opponent could be their side, front or back. It depends on your posistion, a lot of chun moves are intended to make the opponents center line open, but that does not necessarily mean their front. For example the side center line would be me facing their side full on and target is still the same temple, ear, jaw, throat, ribs, knees, move to the back - back of the head, spine, back of knees, throat for take down.

This is the whole reason why chain punches are the sign of lame wing chun, the idea is not to chain punch them till they start crying, but gain a posisition which gives you dominance to strike the center line and then posistion again to strike the center line from a different angle.

That is how I understand it anyway.

Genius

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do some Wing Chun trapping. Now, put a knife in your right hand. That's FMA trapping, it'll be similar, but you'll have to modify it just a bit so you don't cut yourself. Wing Chun trapping tends to move both hands close to the same time. FMA trapping is a 1-1-1-1-1 rhythm so you don't cut yourself. Both systems take advantage of centerline. Now do some trapping while holding a stick as a weapon. Try it with nunchaku as a weapon. There is your difference, FMA is weapon based, Wing Chun is not.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 4:08pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Quartering and flanking vs. maintaining the centerline seems like pretty opposing tactical goals.
    I try to stay on my opponent's centerline and keep them off of mine. Flanking is a good way of doing this.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    The goals tend to be different. Fma trapping tends to end at extreme close range, and often ends in the clinch or a takedown. There's no real thought that trapping range is something that you can maintain in the fight.
    I don't think there is such a range as "trapping range." If you can trap, you can strike. Also, I don't think the goals are different in in wing chun and fma. The goal is to not get killed. Trapping in wing chun and fma should be incidental and a means to an end...never the end itself.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Do some Wing Chun trapping. Now, put a knife in your right hand. That's FMA trapping, it'll be similar, but you'll have to modify it just a bit so you don't cut yourself. Wing Chun trapping tends to move both hands close to the same time. FMA trapping is a 1-1-1-1-1 rhythm so you don't cut yourself. Both systems take advantage of centerline. Now do some trapping while holding a stick as a weapon. Try it with nunchaku as a weapon. There is your difference, FMA is weapon based, Wing Chun is not.
    I think this is a good post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 6:10am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

Yeah alot of people totally misunderstand this, some systems of VT have added another line (Horizontal Mid Line- ) to help make this easier to understand.

Posted On:
    5/30/2007 12:24pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Do some Wing Chun trapping. Now, put a knife in your right hand. That's FMA trapping, it'll be similar, but you'll have to modify it just a bit so you don't cut yourself.
    If you have a weapon in your hand, why are you bothering to try and trap? Hit him for cryin' out loud!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast