Sponsored Links Spacer Image

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 2:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe theloud pop you heard meant you screwed up the lift? Or were lifting too heavy a weight to control for yourself. If I loaded up 600 on the deadlift and tried it I would hurt myself.

I wouldn't blame it on lifting heavy, I would just be stupid.

Lately though I am lifting in higher reps, 7-12, because I stalled out lifting in the 2-4 range, plus I just like it right now.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 2:32am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heavy singles currently have property of my soul, but I'm a big fan of the 1-5 rep range.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 3:50am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, complete range of motion and my frame was not/is not able to support that much pressure upon my joints

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 12:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured full range of motion is just kinda a no duh in lifting. I can still go through a full range of motion with a heavy weight, unless we're defining a heavy weight as one that you can't go through a full range of motion with =P
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Equipose's "pop" problem is something I encountered quite recently, just before getting my staph infection. Maybe I didn't warm up enough (but I think I did). I was preparing to squat 265, which is heavy for me now, but nothing unusual. First rep when ok, second rep I felt something funny on my lumbar area. Stupid me decided to see if I could do a 3rd rep, and then, a "pop" from my hips. I immediately put the weights back and asked my g/f to help me stretch.

I had some pain in my hips and lumbar area for about a week. Nothing big, but enough to make me concerned. So now I'm more careful and I try not to find out how many reps I can do (last time I tried was 6 reps with that weight.) I'm not gonna try to find my max with squats. **** no!!!

I like full range of motion with my squats.... BUT I certainly don't use the same amount of weight I would use when I'm stopping halfway the motion. In addition, when I use full range of motion, I prefer to use a bit wider of a stance.

Right now I'm playing with the 1-5 rep range, but in the past I've played from the 7-12 to very high reps (20). I really don't have a definite program or goal. I go with the flow of what I feel like doing (which is what makes me feel happy :tongue3:)

But I have a new resolution now, which is to stick with the 1-5 rep range to make strenght gains with deadlifts and partial deadlifts, and with the 7-12 rep range on squats (I don't feel comfortable trying the 1-5 rep with squats, hell no.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 1:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing really wrong with the 1-5 rep range on squats, as long as you know your limits and don't try to push yourself too hard.
    "Emevas,

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I figured full range of motion is just kinda a no duh in lifting. I can still go through a full range of motion with a heavy weight, unless we're defining a heavy weight as one that you can't go through a full range of motion with =P
    The heavier the weight, the harder the strain, obviously. During the eccentric motion of the exercise, there usually is a lot of tissue damage due to a lack of a weight being scaled correctly to one's strength.

Many persons lift weights near the1rm thinking that in turn that the gains will be greater. Instead it causes more tissue damage, slowed recovery and a stunted CNS response.

It's not necessarily an issue with warming up as it is the usage of form, foot pronation, etc. etc. Physiological build also plays a big role as well. Also, don't stretch right after lifting... You're forcing the muscle to go from a semi-contracted and swelled state to a loose and elongated form. That's a great way to increase chance of injury.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/27/2007 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I never stretch after lifting. That always seemed retarded to me.
    "Emevas,
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123