Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 2:00am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lifting is definitely a good thing, as long as you do it right. Stick with the heavy compounds like deadlifts, squats, rows, pull-ups, dips and overheads, and leave the curls, cable crossovers, pec dec flyes and other stuff to the weenies.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 2:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you got a good education. Hopefully you find lifting suits you well.
    "Emevas,

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 5:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    The only person I remotely believe on this thread is Emevas due to his constant involvement with this site. So essentially

Video or it didn't happen.
    I suppose after my fight I will go for new maxes and tape it all then. Good Myspace/YouTube material. What are your e-stats Equipose? Always wondered.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    El Macho, have you considered a powerlifting style bench press instead of bodybuilding style? I've dislocated my right shoulder a ton of times, and can do powerlifting style just fine.
    Yeah. Res Judicata also mentioned that alternative, and I started last Monday (slowly building up the load). My shoulders didn't get any pain at all, though I need to wrap my right wrist. I hope this is the magic formula for me to get stronger for the bench press. I want to make a clip so that you guys can correct any mistakes I'm making in the bench.

Mr. Bosco, what Emevas said, those aren't really heavy lifts, and proper form is always preferable. Only use a load that allows you to do your reps in proper form.

You should also experiment with olympic lifts (I like cleans myself). Also, if you like deadlifts, every once in a while you may want to experiment with partial deadlifts (where you lift the bar just above knee hight from a rack and back). You can load a lot more weight that way (stressing your lats and grips even more) without risking your lumbar area.

--- EDIT ---

Hey Emevas, I stopped using the wrestling shoes in favor of a pair of cheap water shoes I found at Sports Authority. For $7, those things rock!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you wanna be really manly, go for ballet slippers.
    "Emevas,

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 12:33pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've healed up enough that I can start lifting weights again, and at 6'1" and 157 lbs I can bench my own weight (140 lbs x 5 reps = 158 lb 1rm according to some Internet calculator) and squat ~163 according to the same Internet calculator.

It's unimpressive, I know, but for a skinny dude it feels good to be able to bench my own bodyweight, since not many people I know can. If I can stick with the program until the end of the summer hopefully I can get deeper into the high 100's.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 4:06pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bench - 255
    Squat - 275
    Dead - 365

Weight - 180 (Im 170 now though)

All are down now because of training for a fight, very little weight lifting going on. After its over, I wanna focus on lifts, a 405 dead would be nice with 275 Bench. Squats, I wanna hit 315 too.

I can confirm the lifts of LI GUY 1. All true.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 6:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't "maxxed" in about a year and a half. I wouldn't know. I lift what gives me enough resistance to facilitate growth. I do the complete motion versus that jerky bullshit that causes injury and hinders gains. For a complete motion, medium weight is needed. I got up a bit past 450 on squats before a loud pop and me not being able to move for almost a week clued me in that lifting incredibly heavy weight for the point of doing solely that is a bit inane. At 178 lbs, I'm not built like Marius IE, trying to lift like him doesn't serve me.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Complete motion?

I use weight that I can do good form with, but it still tends to be pretty heavy to facilitate growth.
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/26/2007 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Equip, by complete motion, do you mean "full range of motion?"
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast