Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Hapkido.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Youngest 9th dan in Judo?

I came across this blog by Matt Anderson who claims that Grandmaster Bong Yul Shin is the youngest person certified as a 9th dan in Judo at the age of 62. He runs a Moo Do Kwan in St. Louis. I tried to find anything that would back up this claim but I found nothing. Does anyone know anything about this guy?
    Thanks.

http://mattsmartialarts.tumblr.com/p...e-girardeau-mo

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing a quick internet search, two things come up
    1) nobody seems to know when he actually arrived exactly in the US (somewhere in the early 60s, 1960-1963)
    2) websites, tumblr blogs and seminar sites usually present his rank as "9th dan in TKD, Aikido and Judo"; that alone does not mean he claims a 9th dan in Judo and that the tumblr poster is conflating a legitimate rank (e.g. in tkd or aikido, unlikely but whatever) to be his uniform rank across his various disciplines.

Seeing as you brought this topic up, get more proof, somewhere were HE HIMSELF, not another person, claims to have a 9th dan in Judo.
    Then look at his website, see his affiliation and check on their records. If he is a real 9th dan, it should be easy, and not take more than 5-10 minutes. This is MABS, not YMAS, its for presenting evidence, not for asking to check someone out.

Style
    Holiday Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The supreme moment came, and a board of judo experts conferred upon Bong Yul Shin his certification as a ninth-degree black belt, an honor he had worked his life to attain. At that moment, he looked at his life from beginning to end and marveled at the journey.

He thought back to his native South Korea, a country he had left as a young man for an education at the University of Missouri back in 1961.

"I tried to find a summer job here in St. Louis and that is where I stayed," said Shin, who works at Anheuser-Busch, and teaches judo at his own school, Moo Doo Kwan, and the Missouri Athletic Club.
    From Here

Can't register with the site to check who these Judo experts were. One of you lot in the states might have more luck viewing the article.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Humbug View Post
    somewhere were HE HIMSELF, not another person, claims to have a 9th dan in Judo.
    Maybe here http://www.dontcheatyourself.com/about.html?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Fair enough.

Though he does have a pic with Sting, so he has to be legit.

Style
    Holiday Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hall of fame member, taught security, World Organisation of Mixed Martial Arts

HURM.

Doesn't mean he's not legit but it don't look good either.
    Last edited by Cake of Doom; 2/23/2016 9:54am at .
    Train hard, fight easy.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the important question is who awarded him the 9th dan in Judo.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I think the important question is who awarded him the 9th dan in Judo.
    I guess the question is: should we really care about whether he is a "real" 9th dan?

Ranks above 4th dan in Judo are not necessarily commensurate with better mat skills than a well competed 4th dan.

Many old timers stop pursuing rank or caring about it,
    and just coach,
    content with the minimum dan rank necessary (usually 4th)
    to sign their students paperwork to compete up to black belt in their Judo organization tournaments,
    for the benefit of their students.

If the gentleman is claimed to be a 9th degree but is not rather well known in their home country as a founding Judo legend,

then...

Usually you cannot get to that high of a dan rank in Judo without a lot of organizational visibility...and political approval...and...outliving most of your peers in Judo.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 2/23/2016 7:14pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say anything above 5th degree. You see a lot of former olympic and WC guys with 5th and 6th degrees at fairly young age. 9th dan is pretty much ceremonial anyway, not based on increased skill at physical judo.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Kickboxing, MT, Sub-wrest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'd say anything above 5th degree. You see a lot of former olympic and WC guys with 5th and 6th degrees at fairly young age. 9th dan is pretty much ceremonial anyway, not based on increased skill at physical judo.
    I'd read somewhere that anything after 5th is pretty much an honorary title and as more to do with internal politics and what they've fetched to the art as opposed to actual skill involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last