All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 10:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TMA
    My ratings, based on YOUR rating criteria!

We are not a full contact school. I don't recall anyone ever claiming we were. If the goal was to "expose" that fact I'm not sure what was accomplished. I think that was pretty obvious from the beginning. We train medium contact for our intermediate and advanced belts and our kids. Our black belt adults go full contact WITH gear, and ONLY during gradings.

I agree that "Traditional Karate" does have some serious flaws with regards to self-defense and I don't recall disputing that. We close that gap by supplementing with material from other systems. My main instructor (Bruce Ward - Spokane, WA (who I'm sure nobody has ever heard of)) trains MMA fighters and has fought himself. In his 18 years of teaching he has only promoted three of us to black belt. I did learn a thing or two "other than traditional karate" from some of that very "tough" training. I have made a conscious choice not to train my students using the training methods I endured. Most people can never get through that kind of training and quit before they ever gain any kind of proficiency. In my experience only about 3% of people who train in the martial arts are "serious" students who will ever really develop their martial skills. That 3% will excel no matter where they train because they are motivated. But... martial arts is multi-dimensional and self-defense is only one facet. There are other benefits to be gained from training. Agree with me or not it doesn't really matter. That is something that has been debated ad nausium within the martial arts community and no one is going to change anyone else's viewpoint on this issue.

I do want to counter the point that judo, BJJ, boxing, etc, are real martial arts that teach students how to defend themselves from "real violence". These systems all teach great stuff and I have great respect for the people who teach and train in them. But they each have their own shortcomings. Combat sports are just that, sports. They have safety equipment, rules and referees. All any type of training does is increase the chances that you will survive a serious threat of violence such as a mugging or home invasion. Until you personally have faced that sort of serious violence you can't know how you or your training will stand up.

Now... back to the original rating. There are well over 30 martial arts schools within a 20 minute radius of our location but the original reviewer has posted reviews on only two others. One of which was his own gym which got a very high rating. I'm still waiting to see a review of his own gym's "karate" program. I doubt that will happen.

As for the reviewers request to videotape our training.... if any or all of my black belts decide they want to spar with Amn Kai then we will tape it and he can post it. I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with them as yet because they train on Fridays and Saturdays. Issue Pending....
    Thank you for reading and listening to the more rational voices here.

Please understand that this is not a monolithic organization, it is a place provided for individuals to share information - individuals, not the owners and staff of this community, are responsible for what they post.

Thank you for demonstrating a willingness to evaluate your school in an empirical manner - that showed great sportsmanship and drive for compromise. Encouraging your various outraged boosters to do the same would be the only thing, in my opinion, you could do to appear more collected.

As for the number of schools Kai has reviewed, he has actually done 3, counting yours, and he reviewed his current school before decided to attend there. Of course, only time will tell if he reviews more over time, but I don't believe he set out to do any sort of hatchet job on your school - he simply stated his opinion regarding its ability to meet his needs. Since he was shopping for a more contact oriented program, which by your admission you don't make a point of offering, the only substantial point of disagreement between you seems to be his tone.

Finally, we are always interested in new and open points of view about the current state of karate and other traditional martial arts - PLEASE join the discussion in the main discussion boards and share some of your ideas (be forwarned - this is a lightly moderated forum and sometimes things get a little heated).
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 10:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeach
    Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. A special thanks to It Is Fake. He is our first replier. He didn't take my advice to put his pants back on and made another stupid comment. Who will be next? Thanks for proving my point.
    I'll put my pants on after you pull your head out of your ass.

Why don't you take your own advice and list the positives of the school?

See, not a single one of you so called "supporters" have done that yet.

All you've done is piss and moan. Take a page from 3TMA who finally described her classes while, critiquing Kai.

I can respect that, the rest of you fail. Telling life stories makes you a crackpot. Your life and how you grew up has nothing to do with a school review.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 11:28pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thankfully, Ms Pitassi submitted a review that, while more generous than mine, was also reasonable. As for the other users... Would somebody PLEASE think of the children? I know it's policy to not remove review scores, but COME ON. Really? Other than Ms Pitassi's and mine, no other review has the slightest bit of info on the school!

I guess we'll have to wait and see about that video.

**EDIT**
    longbeach's conduct is depressing. Judging by the sub-basic level of sarcasm used, I can only imagine the horror her/his child must go through. It's just sad.
    Last edited by Airman Kai; 8/30/2007 11:33pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeach
    As far as the guy with the IP on Superstar, did you ever think (and this will be a stretch for you folks out there) that maybe he lived in the area and moved???

The thought had occurred to me. I suppose what you suggest is possible. However, after dealing with these issues countless times already, IMO, the onus is on 'superstar' to show he is legitimate - just as 'usjedi' did.

Some things are, at least, 100% certain:

'superstar' and 'longbeach' are posting from the same computer. The IP traces to no where near this school. Sycophants are douche bags. No soup for you and you!

You don't live there NOW. Maybe you did move BEFORE. But, regardless of what you remember BEFORE, Airman Kai did a review NOW. You two didn't even have the courtesy of relaying your own personal experiences with this school BEFORE. Do you even have any, or are you only interested in ad-hominem?
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 8/31/2007 11:15am at . Reason: corrected mistake in user reference
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 3:40pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need someone to infiltrate this school ninjer style. Train with them, date their women, learn the ways, then compile a report.

Where is Bunyip when you need him?

:)

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if they mostly have kids in the school, or was that a random influx of soccer moms?

:)

Posted On:
    8/31/2007 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry to double post...didn't save the review. I wonder how old their youngest black belt is?

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good Afternoon. I would like to start my initial post by stating I am a current student of 3TMA. I will not be commenting on any particular post, nor will I be submitting a rating in the overall sense of fairness. I will state that I have been in sevral programs over the course of my life, ranging from the hard core to the "pure sport". I can state that I find the classes at 3TMA to be very "alive" and active. I can state that the instructors are knowlegdable and well trained in their art. I can state that I enjoy my time in Dojo immensely. I will state that I have a sense of pride in the Dojo. I will also state that I have one of my daughters enrolled with me. What I do care about is how I feel. In the end the opinions of anyone not in my family do not affect my life or anyone else, as the case may be. However, this is just my opinion. As I have stated opinions affect no one. I leave you now with these thoughts to ponder. In the end will a resolution one way or the other truly make anyones life more complete. Will any of the opinions posted put food on your tables or pay your bills. I fully accept that mine will not. Yours in brother/sisterhood CS.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 12:41pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been about a week with no word back from Ms Pitassi, so I must assume that she has decided not to allow any cameras into her school. If this truly is dead in the water, then I (of course) stand by my orginal review.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ranging from the hard core to the "pure sport"
    I just think the mindset of these people is different. I think it is great that the owner came on to defend her school. Maybe after this has cooled down we can shuffle out the garbage posts and make it more reasonable. Perhaps just Kai's original review and the owner responses.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 9/05/2007 1:31pm at .
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast