Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 12:11pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. The inflated ratings posted by the students from this school need to be seriously considered for removal, as the numbers they're posting suggests Karate Heaven is a real place, and that it's in Swansea, IL.

2. I talked to Ms Pitassi days ago, and have heard no word back as of yet. The terms I laid out for her would be that she had final approval of any video I posted, and this seemed agreeable to her but she said she would need time to decide.

As of this moment I PERSONALLY believe that:
    - Ms Pitassi will not allow me to film anyting.
    - She believes I am out to discredit her school for personal reasons.

I'm hoping, however, that neither will be true when she makes her decision.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    1. The inflated ratings posted by the students from this school need to be seriously considered for removal, as the numbers they're posting suggests Karate Heaven is a real place, and that it's in Swansea, IL.

As I told you before in a PM, the staff has already discussed this.

Rating everything a 10 (or at zero) may be biased, retarded and/or delusional, but that's their opinion. If it's not a troll or shill post, it stays. Differing opinions are not sufficient grounds to remove someone's ratings.

Try to get comfortable with what free speech means, m'kay? :smile:

Regardless, if someone goes solely by the overall rating versus actually reading the thread and looking at each user's ratings, that's pretty dumb on their part.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 2:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    As I told you before in a PM, the staff has already discussed this.

Rating everything a 10 (or at zero) may be biased, retarded and/or delusional, but that's their opinion. If it's not a troll or shill post, it stays. Differing opinions are not sufficient grounds to remove someone's ratings.

Try to get comfortable with what free speech means, m'kay? :smile:

Regardless, if someone goes solely by the overall rating versus actually reading the thread and looking at each user's ratings, that's pretty dumb on their part.
    How is it not a "shill post" when someone makes an account to rate a school and do nothing else, rates their school all or mostly tens when the school's own literature places it lower on the guide lines, and then they refuse all discussion on the matter?
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 8/30/2007 2:56pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok then, on principle (i will delete this if they change their ratings to actually follow our standards.)

at least this will even out the overall rating a bit.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 3:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if superstar is part of the
    Quote Originally Posted by usjedi
    the local karate authorities
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 3:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    How is it not a "shill post" when someone makes an account to rate a school and do nothing else, rates their school all or mostly tens when the school's own literature places it lower on the guide lines, and then they refuse all discussion on the matter?

It's not a shill if the poster is that delusional they believe it.

But, like I said originally: "If"

In this particular case, superstar's IP address seems to trace out to nowhere near Illinois. Therefore, it's almost certainly trolling and should be removed.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Therefore, it's almost certainly trolling and should be removed.
    Who decides and/or handles that?

In this particular case, superstar's IP address seems to trace out to nowhere near Illinois.
    Does that mean that out-of-area reviews and/or reviews from posters who haven't been to the school should all be removed?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 5:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Who decides and/or handles that?

Does that mean that out-of-area reviews and/or reviews from posters who haven't been to the school should all be removed?
    I think so. But, I'm not staff.

(Hey, look at that, I now agree with Ming Loyalist's ratings.)

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My ratings, based on YOUR rating criteria!

We are not a full contact school. I don't recall anyone ever claiming we were. If the goal was to "expose" that fact I'm not sure what was accomplished. I think that was pretty obvious from the beginning. We train medium contact for our intermediate and advanced belts and our kids. Our black belt adults go full contact WITH gear, and ONLY during gradings.

I agree that "Traditional Karate" does have some serious flaws with regards to self-defense and I don't recall disputing that. We close that gap by supplementing with material from other systems. My main instructor (Bruce Ward - Spokane, WA (who I'm sure nobody has ever heard of)) trains MMA fighters and has fought himself. In his 18 years of teaching he has only promoted three of us to black belt. I did learn a thing or two "other than traditional karate" from some of that very "tough" training. I have made a conscious choice not to train my students using the training methods I endured. Most people can never get through that kind of training and quit before they ever gain any kind of proficiency. In my experience only about 3% of people who train in the martial arts are "serious" students who will ever really develop their martial skills. That 3% will excel no matter where they train because they are motivated. But... martial arts is multi-dimensional and self-defense is only one facet. There are other benefits to be gained from training. Agree with me or not it doesn't really matter. That is something that has been debated ad nausium within the martial arts community and no one is going to change anyone else's viewpoint on this issue.

I do want to counter the point that judo, BJJ, boxing, etc, are real martial arts that teach students how to defend themselves from "real violence". These systems all teach great stuff and I have great respect for the people who teach and train in them. But they each have their own shortcomings. Combat sports are just that, sports. They have safety equipment, rules and referees. All any type of training does is increase the chances that you will survive a serious threat of violence such as a mugging or home invasion. Until you personally have faced that sort of serious violence you can't know how you or your training will stand up.

Now... back to the original rating. There are well over 30 martial arts schools within a 20 minute radius of our location but the original reviewer has posted reviews on only two others. One of which was his own gym which got a very high rating. I'm still waiting to see a review of his own gym's "karate" program. I doubt that will happen.

As for the reviewers request to videotape our training.... if any or all of my black belts decide they want to spar with Amn Kai then we will tape it and he can post it. I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with them as yet because they train on Fridays and Saturdays. Issue Pending....

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2007 5:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for posting again.

Long post. All I'm going to do is address two things I find contradictory.

Every art has shortcomings. EVERY ART.
    My main instructor (Bruce Ward - Spokane, WA (who I'm sure nobody has ever heard of)) trains MMA fighters and has fought himself. In his 18 years of teaching he has only promoted three of us to black belt.I did learn a thing or two "other than traditional karate" from some of that very "tough" training. I have made a conscious choice not to train my students using the training methods I endured
    So, you were trained by a sport coach cool.

Combat sports are just that, sports. They have safety equipment, rules and referees.
    Are you saying you don't?

See that's called bias, the same thing you guys are accusing Kai of.
    if any or all of my black belts decide they want to spar with Amn Kai then we will tape it and he can post it. I haven't had an opportunity to discuss it with them as yet because they train on Fridays and Saturdays. Issue Pending....
    Good on you for maybe stepping to the plate.

Although, it still gives no insight into your classes which is the point of the discussion.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast