221316 Bullies, 4085 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Enlightened Child

Some of you know that I used to be a Kempo instructor, I got fed up with BS, I still do some private lessons here and there, yadda yadda etcetera etcetera....

So I got a phone call today while I was at Jits from one of the kids I still teach (9yr old) whom recently tested for his brown belt in Kempo. In short, this kid had the epiphany at 9yrs old that took me until I was 19! *wipes away a tear* makes me so proud.

Here's the conversation from memory minus some personal tidbits...

Me: Hello?
    Kid: Hey Nidan Jim, I just wanted to talk to you, to ask you a few questions/
    Me: Ok... shoot.
    Kid: Well, do you remember when you were younger, when you were a brown belt?
    Me: Yeah, sure
    Kid: Well...was your test hard?
    Me: Um...I suppose. Why do you ask?
    Kid: Well....I was training really hard, because I was expecting a hard test....and I don't think it was even an hour long. And there was a lot of people, so they barely even checked all my moves that I practiced.
    Me: Well buddy, you do remember when I told you how tests are just a formality to show the higher ranks that you know your stuff, and that it was my job to make sure you were ready and earned before the test even took place?
    Kid: Yeah...but Shihan wasn't even there to see the test. It was like they just had us come in, do some things and then gave us the belts. It was like they just wanted the money for the test.
    Me: *Nearly choking on my water bottle* Wha....wait....I'm sorry. What was that about money?
    Kid: They didn't seem to care about testing us, like they just wanted the money for the test. They cared more about making sure they got the money from my mom before the test.
    Me: Well....um.......
    Kid: Can I ask you another question?
    Me: Uh....yeah....I guess.....
    Kid: When you used to teach, if someone forgot their mouthpiece would you still let them spar?
    Me: Well, if they didn't have that and they were a kid, I'd make sure it was either ok with their parent, or I'd have them spar a higher rank without punching to the face.
    Kid: Well >instructors name< doesn't let me do anything. All I did was punch in techniques with Brian the whole class, while everyone else sparred. And I LOVE SPARRING. And we NEVER get to spar!!!
    Me: Well, I think you should talk to Shodan about that because, you should be sparring at least once a week....Ya know, cause people don't fight like they do in punching in, haha
    Kid: I know that! But they don't seem to understand that! I always ask to spar, and they keep telling me I need to finish or work on my forms. I remember how before you, Shodan Mike, and Nidan all left, we used to get to spar all the time, and everything was so much better. How come you all don't come back?
    Me: Well, buddy, it's a bit more complicated than that.
    Kid: *sighs* I miss the way things used to be.
    Me: Well I'm sorry to hear that...and I was just gonna call to congratulate you on your test!
    Kid: Heh, thanks
    Me: Did your mother want to talk to me?
    Kid: No...I just wanted to tell you. She's gonna talk to them tomorrow. She'll probably call you later this week.
    Me: Alright. Don't let this get you down. You still play soccer right?
    Kid: Yeah I still do soccer, it's fun.
    Me: Yeah, soccer is fun
    Last edited by Ke?poFist; 5/23/2007 12:54am at .
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kinda more sad than happy.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:13am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man you seem like a kickass instructor!

That kid is far and away ahead of people who actually pay their own hard earned money to practice in a Mcdojo.

Me: Alright. Don't let this get you down. You still play soccer right?
    Kid: Yeah I still do soccer, it's fun.
    Me: Yeah, soccer is fun
    That part was especially depressing.
    Last edited by Mas; 5/23/2007 1:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:19am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I was that cool when I was nine years old. I think my father was almost starting to teach me some Krav... But that kid is going places. When he turns fourteen, give him a call and tell him to start posting on Bullshido. From this story, you can see that he really "gets it".

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 1:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah he definitely gets it, way more than I thought. I have been feeding them mantra when I used to teach on proper training, as I did with all classes kids and adults (just like how Bullshido instructors make speeches explaining how what they are having you do is productive). But to think about it, and take it to that extent, and THEN realize someone trying to fleece you -or your parents in this case- out of their hard earned money!? I didn't even think about the cost of things when I was 10yrs old.

I should have another private lesson with him within the week. Guess I'll get the whole story then when I see his parents.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 5:01am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was no ordinary child! That was the avatar of Bulshido!

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 5:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nine years old??? We have a star in the making...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 7:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my God. That transcript made me sad. Happy for the kid (he's freaking brilliant), but, the whole think just sucks. I dunno, I would have just frozen over the phone, not knowing what to say. When a kid ask you for guidance and talks to you deep, very deep, and you don't expect it, it's really moving.

The frustrating part is that he may decide to drop MA completely and go into soccer or something else (good for him to pursue whatever he likes, but still) :( :( :(
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 8:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kfist your a true man. For those of you that need an example of how a real man acts see that post. Also way to hold back on calling the new crew a bunch of gutless asshats.

Its ashamed that a bunch of ass kissing hacks are always the ones that seem to make a living at MA. While people who really care about what they do and how its percieved are shunned and expelled from schools. Thank the great Kano and Helio for the no BS schools of Judo and BJJ are we would all be out on the street just fighting each other.

Cool kid also keep him on the path and get him in jits in a couple of years.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2007 8:59am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kempofist,

You know, that was awesome and depressing at the same time. Sharp kid, which is great for a 9 year old. But damn, you could just feel his disappointment.

Makes me glad I did Judo at 7. Randori is good for you... :)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast